Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Watermarking YouTube/Internet Videos?

Started by RestlessDeviant ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Watermarking YouTube/Internet Videos?

14 posts
  1. I have just done a Lembeh trip and have made a really nice video & have a few shots that might be worth something e.g. blue ringed octopus mating.

    In this event or another event that I catch something amazing on camera , if I want to post the video on You Tube in 720p HD I know then other people can use programs to download the video to their computer.

     

    Do I need to worry about this?? I'm not really sure what could happen, but I just don't want to get caught out somehow.

     

    I can put a faded see through text across the video but is that being over protective of footage. I'm kind of new to all this and have not sold footage b4, but would like to start going in that direction. I have just started shooting with a 110 WA lens instead of the standard, & that has massively increased the finished production quality.

     

    So should I upload worry free for You Tube/Internet exposure, or should I hold or watermark the rare stuff!?

     

    James

    Edited by RestlessDeviant
  2. Hi James

    If you dont want anyone to grab it, dont load it up.

    Otherwise just watermark it on the bottom right hand corner with some text.

    You can also load up a bad res version to youtube so not really good for anyone to use.

     

    Post it here when you have it loaded up.

  3. I have just done a Lembeh trip and have made a really nice video & have a few shots that might be worth something e.g. blue ringed octopus mating.

     

    I have little experience of video or the selling of it, but my gut feeling is decent footage of mating blue ringed octopus has considerable commercial value. Be careful who it's shared with for now - by putting it on Youtube you could argue you are exposing it to buyers, but you could not sell exclusive worldwide rights if it's been downloaded from the web. Exclusive = more money.

     

    And I have a suspicion that many would expect you to give them unlimited use for free. Remember you are licensing its broadcast, not selling the tape - unless the fee is very, very good. By licensing rather than selling outright you can sell the broadcast rights by territory, language, broadcast medium (terrestrial, satellite, web streaming) or whatever mix the customer needs. I say "needs" because that can be different to what the customer "wants". They may want "all rights" (use, reuse, resell to others) but don't actually need them, or indeed afford them.

     

    Sorry I can't help with the watermarking, but I would try and find a professional who has experience in selling video footage (and is willing to offer advice) to commercial outlets (anyone on this Forum?) and run the material past them first.

     

    Well done and good luck.

  4. Not too long ago I posted a video on Youtube and got a scathing rebuke from my friend and professional Nat. Geo shooter, Rick Allen, telling me I was crazy not to have watermarked my work. He was right and so I wrote this awhile back. Not sure what NLE you are using but it might be transferable to other NLEs in content. Hope it helps.

    http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/water...cp_douglas.html

    Steve

  5. If it's a good video then at some point it will be ripped off. Fact. It will be downloaded and re-uploaded on other commercial sites, or they will embed the YouTube stream incorrectly in a way that makes the links and ads not work, or they will run their own ads over it etc.. If it's on a USA server, as most likely sites are, then it falls within the DMCA safe harbour procedures and you can get it taken down in the vast majority of cases. If it's on a server outside the USA then your chances of getting it taken down are much slimmer.

     

    If you register it with the US Copyright Office ($35 last time I did it) then you can qualify for statutory damages if it's ripped off, so if you're concerned then do that. If you watermark it and somebody removes the watermark or crops it then they are breaking laws regarding removal of CMI (copyright management information) and you can qualify for damages for that too. So it's much better to watermark it than not.

  6. Hey everyone, thanks for all the answers. Really appreciate all the advise. I am going to play it safe and upload it with a faded text through the clips and hope that does the job . I use Sony Vegas for editing & it's pretty easy to add the txt. I really think I have a nice Vid here, but you can all be the judge of that when I get this baby up. Maybe you will think all the fuss is over nothing, but I hope not :)

     

    Just arrived in Bkk and am at the hands of the guest houses dodgy wireless which keeps crashing half way through upload Arrg. ;)

    Edited by RestlessDeviant
  7. Woo Hoo..... Took over 15 goes, but got it up!

     

    See new topic ;)

  8. In my opinion the way you actually did it, right across the middle of the screen, is distracting from the action, especially at the beginning where it's on top of the that mimic octopus. I think it will negatively affect the attention span of your viewers. Very nice video though!

  9. "See new topic "

     

    just put a link don't have to look everywhere

     

    thanks

  10. "See new topic "

    just put a link don't have to look everywhere

    thanks

    WOW... I NEVER expected 2 attract someone who's time was so valuable, I didn't expect such an honour..... I am truly humbled by your interest...

    Thanks

    Edited by RestlessDeviant
  11. WOW... I NEVER expected 2 attract someone who's time was so valuable, I didn't expect such an honour..... I am truly humbled by your interest...

    Thanks

     

     

    I went to View New Posts

    and nothing !!! so i just don't now where to go see video

    i am not used to this forum perhaps

    and i have plenty of time otherwire i will never had ansered to your post

  12. I went to View New Posts

    and nothing !!! so i just don't now where to go see video

    i am not used to this forum perhaps

    and i have plenty of time otherwire i will never had ansered to your post

     

     

    ok i found it

    i was expeting i title like: blue ring octopus not Lembeh Straits Muck Diving Nov 2009

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.