Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Highest safe DVD bit rate

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Highest safe DVD bit rate

6 posts
  1. I'm sure we have discussed this before but I can't find it so apologies in advance,

     

    So I in at the final stage of producing a DVD of diving Sydney and I have been experimenting with higher bit rates etc and via compressor have ended up doing 7.5 mbps avg with max of 8.5 mbps, 2 pass variable rate. With frame controls and all other settings on better (best ended up taking over 10 hours for a 6 min project so bugger that!)

     

    The question is, is 7.5 and 8.5 mbps too with one stream of audio too high for any DVD players?

     

    What does everyone else do?

     

    P.S I used the preset in Compressor for DVD 90 mins best setting and reckon my encodes look heaps better.

  2. 8.5mbps max and if space is not a problem just set is at CBR, dont worry about multipass as it will not give you any better quality.

    Gee 6 mins of HDV here on my laptop takes like a couple minutes to render out a 8.5mbps CBR MPEG 2 file.

    Audio send out as 256kbps AC3 then author the DVD.

    Use close gobs for more accurate chapter marks.

     

    Good luck...

  3. 8.5mbps max and if space is not a problem just set is at CBR, dont worry about multipass as it will not give you any better quality.

    Gee 6 mins of HDV here on my laptop takes like a couple minutes to render out a 8.5mbps CBR MPEG 2 file.

    Audio send out as 256kbps AC3 then author the DVD.

    Use close gobs for more accurate chapter marks.

     

    Good luck...

     

    Thanks Wags,

     

    Yeah mine will encode fast as long as I don't the frame controls on the highest setting,

     

    Cheers

     

    Jon

  4. Hope this works. I have attached a bit budget which will analyze your project for you. If the attachment comes out screwed, go to the kenstone.net site and under 'New Releases' at the bottom, you can download from there.

    Steve

     

    Crap, it wouldn't let me upload it for you...just go to the site and get it.

  5. Thanks Steve, I'll do that

  6. If I have space on the DVD I'll do 8mbps CBR plus the audio. I use Cinemacraft Encoder Basic. With this encoder I can't really see any improvement once I get above about 6mpbs.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.