Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Eok Soo Kim

Started by davichin ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Eok Soo Kim

14 posts
  1. I can´t really believe I am writing this post. Some weeks ago we were sharing the best moments of El Hierro UWP competition and today Carlos Minguell informed us that Eok Soo passed away during a dive in Philippines. What a great guy. Always with a smile in the face. I am really sad.

     

    This is the last message he sent us with a picture summary of his experience in El Hierro (I don´t know how to embed):

     

     

    I can´t finish watching. All our love is with the family in these moments.

  2. My condolences to the family and to all involved.

  3. wow, sad news indeed.

  4. My goodness, that is such shocking news. Very sad.

     

    He only sent round that video a week or two ago.

     

    Alex

  5. Shanay and I are terribly saddened by this. Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences to Eok Soo´s wife, daughter and son.

     

    We did not know him all that well but we were beginning too and already talking about meeting up again in the future. We met in Korea earlier this year and spent a lot of time together on the same boat in the competitions in korea and later in El Hierro.

    He was a kind and great person to be around and he will be sorely missed.

    Eok soo placed 3´rd in the CMAS world championships of underwater photography and told me he was so happy to finally do well in the big competitions. He also did very well in the El Hierro fotosub by winning best wide angle being the first Korean to be invited to such an event.

     

    Again our heartfelt condolences to everyone that stood him near,

     

    Shanay & Espen

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  6. Are very bad news

     

    I am very sad

  7. Very sad; my condolences to his family.

    We are losing too many WP folks, some I've met, others not.

  8. Oh, my......Oh, my......

  9. This is the second member in the last 2 months killed in a rebreather accident.

     

    Very sad indeed

  10. This is the second member in the last 2 months killed in a rebreather accident.

     

    Very sad news indeed, but I was just thinking about the same thing as Mike! You folks with hi-tech rebreathers be more careful out there!!!

    Condolences to Eok Soo Kim's family.

  11. I would like to put this sad news on the front page - so that the wider underwater photography community can give their respects to a top draw shooter and pass on their condolences. But I will only do this if it will not upset the family. Does anyone know them well enough to ask.

     

    I know that sometimes people do not want the publicity in these situations.

     

    I find that video very poignant now. Although I still laugh at the interloper at 09:04 who is pretending he won a prize!

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  12. Maybe if the post could incorporate images of the photographer and some of his work, families might understand that the object is not to publicize, but to pay tribute, they would feel more comfortable.

  13. Here is a photo of our last happy times together on the final day in El Hierro.

    The picture shows from the left: Eok Soo, Alex, Orlando and me.

     

    post-3927-1259358851.jpg

  14. Thanks to all & I am passing all condolences to his family.

     

    He was so excited to be El Hierro & meet with all other photographers.

     

    His story of El Hierro just published in Korean Diving Megazine & I would like to

    thank to all who took care of him there. He put name of Carlos Minguell, Arturo Tell,

    Maria, Espen, David Barrio, Alex........

     

    We do not know details yet & I will post it when we find more. He came home after

    cremation & a lots of,lots of his friends were in funeral yesterday.

     

    Sam

    Edited by shchae
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.