Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Back from the Galapagos, gear problems, sigh....

Started by scorpio_fish ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Back from the Galapagos, gear problems, sigh....

6 posts
  1. Number 1

    OK, so I'm doing my first dive at Darwin. Whalesharks are out there. I install the brand new 12-24mm dx to go really wide. With each shot, the viewfinder gets darker and darker. I can't get a proper exposure at ISO1250 and f4. The whaleshark swims right up to me. Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

    I switch back to the 17-35mm. No problems.

     

    The last day I switch to the 16mm just for the whalesharks. No whalesharks show up. Argh!!!!!!!

     

    While doing a brief land tour, I do a lens switch. Now these other two lenses go dark. It's not the 12-24mm lens, it's the camera. Can't get it to work. Back on the boat, I finally figure out whats wrong. The metal switch in the camera body for the DOF preview is bent. Apparently when I was installing the 12-24mm through the housing port opening, I bent it. I did the best I could to unbend it and the lenses worked. But for some reason the 12-24mm would not work. More home repair in order

     

    Number 2

     

    The lame spring I noted in my AD100 review came back to haunt me. It started sliding up the shutter release lever until it would come off completely. I had to manually yank it down and up to fire. Half depressions were hard to do.

     

    Number 3

     

    I received 3 brand spanking new DX125s just before leaving. I always take 3 strobes, because one always fails. I switched to these new strobes for their smaller weight, profile and faster recycle times.

     

    I charged one at a time. One battery pack would not charge, I could not maintain a good connection with the battery charger. It finally just gave me a blinking green light and no charge. One of the strobes would not allow the battery pack to be re-installed (clamped) back on. It stayed in the suit case the rest of the trip. That is why I take three.

     

    Number 4

     

    Why must I always screw up a dive through my own stupidity? I hastily switched to macro for one dive, the only macro dive of the trip. In my haste, I forgot to slide the bulkhead connector into the hot shoe. Hmmm, the strobes are testing OK. Why won't they fire? Where's the red lightning bolt?

     

    Ambient light macro photography is difficult and not very rewarding. Changed to ISO800, tweaked the shutter speed up and opened up the aperture. Worth a shot, but the results were pathetic.

     

    Miscellaneous ramblings:

     

    The 70-200mm VR lens is a beauty. Used with the 1.4x TC, it worked quite well. With the battery pack on the camera, climbing steep trails at 2200 meters, it's really heavy. Tyring to hand hold the lens while trying to suck the thin air isn't very easy. Sure, the tripod helps, but I was too busy leaning on it to rest.

     

    I have some great shots of where the hummingbird was when I began to hit the shutter release button. Note to self: Take camera off vibration reduction (sort of like mirror lock up) when shooting moving objects.

     

    One of my 1gb microdrives wouldn't down load all the images at the end of the trip. When I finally hooked the camera directly to the computer, it got all but two images.

     

    My laptop mysteriously quick accepting a charge. Bad battery perhaps. Gaz Cooper had a Toshiba (nice of all the mfgs to make brand specific AC adapters) also, so I tried his AC adapter to see if that was the problem. No luck. We were going to swap out batteries, but they were different sizes. I put the battery back in mine and voila! it worked.

     

    Maybe film isn't such a bad idea after all.

     

    Oh, Dr. Craig, the recommendation not to have your film processed on the Aggressor remains in full force. Ken had a roll screwed up as a test. Funny how Richard's always come out OK.

     

    Experimented with a completely new way of shooting. With the pace of action so fast and furious, the normal shoot and adjust doesn't work. I needed something more point and shootish. Switched to shutter priority at 1/60, exposure compensation at -.3, strobes at full or mostly 1/2 depending on situtaion. It worked pretty darn well, except you need a faster speed for those darn sea lions.

  2. I bent my control with my 12-24 as well. I totally understand what you experienced there. A real pisser.

  3. Scorpio fish,

     

    Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm leaving this friday for the Galapagos and will be on the Aggressor I Oct2-9th.

     

    Did you stay in Puerto Arroyo for any length of time? Looking for suggestions as we are staying there for 5 days. Any advice you wish you had before leaving?

     

    How long were you at Darwin and how many Whale sharks did you see? Looking forward to seeing some pictures from your trip.

     

    Thanks,

     

    John

  4. I hope Ken brought the film home with him, it can be fixed.

     

    I am willing to make a small wager that his roll of film was either Provia, Sensia, or one of the kodak tabular-grain structure films like 100VS/G/GX, while Richard would have been using a plain vanilla E6 film. The tabular fine grain films have real issues with Tetanal chemistry, which is what they use on the Aggressors. The bleach and fix times are not long enough :angryfire:.

     

    If the film is brought home uncut, it can be rammed through a proper E6 process and will be dramatically improved. I still had some odd colour casts on mine, but the results were definitely usable.

     

    Ironically, nearly a quarter of the underwater film shots in my Galapagos gallery were from the roll of film that was screwed up in the chemistry. My first roll of the trip had the highest retention rate :freak:

     

    Sorry to hear about your problems with gear. And you're right, shooting birds is WAY harder than shooting fish.

  5. Did you stay in Puerto Arroyo for any length of time? Looking for suggestions as we are staying there for 5 days. Any advice you wish you had before leaving?

     

    How long were you at Darwin and how many Whale sharks did you see? Looking forward to seeing some pictures from your trip.

     

    We did not stay in Puerto Arroyo. It was a land excursion to the Darwin Center and strolling through town, plus dinner that evening. It's a wonderful little place.

     

    Ken Scarborough, Chris (the Instructor/leader/DM of the Aggressor) and I discussed offering a front or back end land excursion in the Galapagos. Our itinerary was the dive, dive, dive with two very brief excursions. We went to the cloud forest north of Quito after the trip. Many in our group did a jungle excursion before the Aggressor trip. Chris and I thought Ken should look at offering a Puerto Arroyo based land only excursion where you can island hop for day tours. He's going to look at it, but doesn't know any of the local tourist ops there. I got no shots of blue or red footed boobies.

     

    As far as where to stay, I will have to dig up Chris' e-mail address. His girlfriend lives and works in Puerto Arroyo. He can definitely give you some recommendations. Some of the nicer hotels are very pricey.

  6. Oops, I forgot to add:

     

    Day 1 - Four dives at Wolf (including checkout dive) 0 whalesharks (ws) for me 2 ws for the other zodiac

     

    Day 2 - Four dives at Darwin 2-1-3-2 = 8 ws sightings

     

    Day 3 - Four dives at Darwin 5-2-1-0 = 8 ws sightings

     

    Day 4 - Two dives at Darwin 0-0 = 0 ws. Wierd thermoclines.

    Two dives at Wolf 0 ws

     

    Day 5 - Two cold dives at Cousins Rock

     

    Day 6 - One dive at Gordon Rocks - Eagle rays

     

    Plenty of dolphin accompanying the boat. Mobula rays were flying out of the water and doing multiple flips on the way to Cousins.

     

    +/- 1,000 hammerhead sightings. Significantly above average I'm told.

    More than average Galapagos shark sightings.

     

    Not all ws sightings are "quality" encounters. Sometimes as you are doing a sinus screaching head first, yo-yo, low on air, bounce descent, common sense takes over and you break off the chase at 90'. Such pathetic good sense and conservatism probably cost me several good shots. I won't make that mistake again :D

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.