At the risk of resurrecting a slightly older topic, any suggestions for a NON Lightroom 'organizer' program, for Windows use?
I know LR is likely to be the best option, but its a bit pricey and frankly probably overkill for my shooting frequency. One-at-a-time developer/editors with almost no organization however aren't quite cutting it for me anymore.
I do tend to shoot RAW, and I've also already settled on DXO Optics Pro for my RAW developer as I like the lens corrections available. Again, it integrates pretty nicely with LR either up-front (can just batch-develop everything based on the camera and lens info with some basic setting choices before putting new shots into the database) or as a called editor after (for more specific/detailed edits), so if there aren't any acceptable alternatives, so be it. (Not trying to talk myself into it, trying to see if there are intermediate measures still!)
What I'm most interested in is the ability to rate, keyword, tag, sort, and search pictures, plus be able to do basic corrections (minimal editing). I want a relatively safe database, preferrably one that's not actually editing the picture bits directly although I don't mind if its writing any of the keywording etc. into the image file in case the DB links get broken by Windows file moves.
The list of options to consider I've got so far are:
- Corel Paintshop Pro Photo X3 - newest version adds keywording and rating, virtual folders (search and sort on keywords), etc. Doesn't do non-destructive editing though I don't believe.
- Photo Mechanic - almost exactly what I described above, but still $150 for the full license. Seems like other programs offer a bit more for the same money. Did play with this one a little a couple months ago in trial version and hit a few snags, but so far I believe I could make it do what I want with a bit more practice and knowledge. Just the half-of-LR price kinda leaves me cold for what it does.
- ACDSee Pro 3 - from reading their website not sure how easy batch or group keywording is, and may have more editing in it than I 'need', but costs same as PM above.
- ACDSee Photo Manager - lighterweight manager, may be enough for just keywording/organizing, and cheap as chips (I think $40 right now actually for their 2009 version).
- DBGallery Photo Database - may not have the name right - doesn't seem like it does anything but produce a DB and allow embedding of keywords into whatever photo organization you already have. Website seems a bit cheesy, and didn't see a trial download, but may have to take a 2nd look.
- Windows Photo Gallery - built into Vista and Win 7, supposedly has keywording and organization features, just not a true DB really....and free so how good can it really be? (Not intentionally MS bashing...I rather like Vista.
)
Any others I should be looking at, any commentary of the ones listed, or should I just man up and force myself to learn LR? (I am trying the v3 beta and find it rather apocryphal...and I do finite element analysis for electromagnetics with a $50k commecial software tool as my day job!!) I do understand "you get what you pay for" but that doesn't mean there aren't bargains out there I'm just not aware of, yet.