Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D50 Housing Help

Started by BreachProductions ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D50 Housing Help

6 posts
  1. Looking to get a housing for my 2007 Nikon D50....Not looking to break the bank but looking for a stable setup I can rely on.....any info would be great......

  2. Considering that's a discontinued model, I would suggest trying to find a used Ikelite housing for it. Then when you upgrade you'll already have ports and lenses and just have to buy the housing body itself. Might be tough to find a housing new or used though since the D50 was only around for 2 years. Back in 2006 I ended up selling my D50 body and buying a D70 just because there were more housings available. I used the D70 for 2 years then upgraded the housing for my D300.

     

    Not saying anything is wrong with your D50, it was a good camera, still is... just wasn't around very long since Nikon retired it for the more inexpensive D40.

    Edited by johnspierce
  3. Considering that's a discontinued model, I would suggest trying to find a used Ikelite housing for it. Then when you upgrade you'll already have ports and lenses and just have to buy the housing body itself. Might be tough to find a housing new or used though since the D50 was only around for 2 years. Back in 2006 I ended up selling my D50 body and buying a D70 just because there were more housings available. I used the D70 for 2 years then upgraded the housing for my D300.

     

    Not saying anything is wrong with your D50, it was a good camera, still is... just wasn't around very long since Nikon retired it for the more inexpensive D40.

     

    Thanks John, Guess I'll try and find an old d50 housing or upgrade to a d70......thanks for the help there

  4. Hi ... Don't know if you'd be interested, but I have a D70 body that I'd be interested in trading for a D50. I have two Sea & Sea D50 housings and would like to acquire another D50 body as a back-up. The D70 is in excellent condition.

    Let me know if you're interested. Thanks, Greg

  5. Thanks John, Guess I'll try and find an old d50 housing or upgrade to a d70......thanks for the help there

     

    Just FYI, a D70 won't perform any better than your D50; they are very, very similar except the D50 is a bit lighter and it uses SD memory instead of Compact Flash. The only reason I switched was because I got a good deal on a used D70 housing. The D70 does have separate aperture and shutter speed control dials which make it a bit easier to use in manual mode underwater.

     

    JP

  6. Just FYI, a D70 won't perform any better than your D50; they are very, very similar except the D50 is a bit lighter and it uses SD memory instead of Compact Flash. The only reason I switched was because I got a good deal on a used D70 housing. The D70 does have separate aperture and shutter speed control dials which make it a bit easier to use in manual mode underwater.

     

    JP

    I found a brand new Ikelite housing on Ebay last dDec. for omly 650USD and it works great. Nice toi sea all the controls and if theres any leaking. The controls required a little bending to get right but the housing is great. Lots of ports available and Ikelite offers bullet proof customer service.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.