Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

5D finger trouble

Started by ErolE ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

5D finger trouble

2 posts
  1. Hmmm I am having some niggling problems with firing my inon z-240 flashes in manual. I shoot by in large in manuel of Av with the strobes set to manual. Everything has been working great so far but now everytime I depress the tigger I get an annoying flashing icon in the top right of my menu screen. The icon is where the flash exposure compensation icon (lighting bolt with +/- beside it). But rather than this being displayed there is an icon that looks like a speedlight head with the +/- beside it. This is dialed in to -3 and flashes preventing the shutter from releasing. Now given that this icon isn t referenced in the manual and I don t know what it means I can t undial it.

     

    Any help would be appreciated...

     

    Thanks Erol

  2. For reference below is pasted Canon care explanation of what this icon means.

    It looks like perhaps there is a problem with the TTL circuitry. Once I figure it out I ll get back to you.

     

     

     

    Now that you have answered where the icon is located im going to tell

    you exactly what it means. This icon is displayed when the flash head is

    not firmly snapped into place, on an EOS Speedlite when you lower the

    flash head it snaps firmly into place, facing straight ahead, 90 degrees

    so to speak. If the head is depressed downward, past 90 degrees, the

    flash symbol flashes as a warning that it is not locked firmly into

    place. The negative 3 means that the exposure compensation is set to

    minus 3. The three flashing lines radiating out from the flash head

    means the flash head is active. When using a 580 ex II it is possible to

    disable the flash head and just use the infrared beam for autofocus

    assist,or when you just dont want the main flash tube to fire, there is

    also an 'active' symbol for that as well. Its shaped like a zigzagged

    arrow.

     

    So theres your answer. Thats what the symbol means, it flashes

    simultaneously on the flash panel as well.

     

    As to whats causing it? We have no clue since you are not using a Canon

    EOS Speedlite flash, its possible there is some communication issue

    between the camera and the flash. Its getting some false signal from the

    flash. There no telling at this point. I understand you have used it

    prior to this issue with no problems. However, there is nothing I can

    recommend to make it go away. Perhaps the makers of the Inon Strobes may

    be able to shed some light on this.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.