Just before the third dive of the first day of an 15 day liveaboard, the dive guide noticed the O-ring on my Inon Z220 was broken and the ends were protruding from under the cap. After opening the battery compartment, the inside was damp with brown battery goo, but not dripping wet. At first I thought it was the result of a flood, but after cleaning the compartment, rinsing with a bit of fresh water, and drying the strobe continued to function. I finally reached the conclusion that one the brand new Energizer 2450 mAH batteries exploded sometimes between the second and third dive. Inspection of the batteries showed that the positive terminal of one of them was indeed loosely attached. Fortunately the strobe continued to function for the rest of the trip.
Has anyone else experience this type of failure?
How corrosive are the residues form the exploded battery? I cannot clean out every last bit of it.
How corrosive are the residues form the exploded battery? I cannot clean out every last bit of it.
Bad joss dude. Very corrosive!
Bob
IIRC, with Inon strobes the battery compartment is separate from the strobe, so it should be safe to rinse the compartment thoroughly with clean fresh water to get the corrosives out. I would do this asap before the acid eats into something non-fixable.
And then buy good, high quality Eneloop batteries instead of cheap Energizers. Inon recommends Eneloops for all of it's new strobes anyway.
Eneloop.
This is exactly what happens with a leak; it was a leak.
Inon's are recoverable, but you need to clean off the terminals with emery paper to get a good contact back.
Tim
Tim,
Are you saying that I did have a small flood (leak) which resulted in the exploded battery?
I had the same thing happen with a set of Energizer rechargeables in one of my Sea & Sea strobes. I cleaned out the battery compartment and the contacts and it works fine. I also switched all my batteries to Eneloops.
Tim,
Are you saying that I did have a small flood (leak) which resulted in the exploded battery?