Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma 17-70mm

Started by blueline ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 17-70mm

3 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I got the Sigma 17-70mm Zoom lens and was wondering what would be the correct Sea & Sea port that will also allow me to take some wide angle shots? I have the compact macro port and along with a Kenko 1.4 extender works fine(even though I lose 20% or so of field of view). Without the extender, part of the port shows up in the photos.

     

    Would the compact Wide Port L be a good choice(recommended for the Sigma 18-50mm), or should I opt for a dome port?

     

    I like this lens very much for topside.. a little noisy but I think it has good low light and macro capabilities.

     

    Also, anyone tried the magic filter on this lens? Would it be recommended on such a lens?

     

    Thanks.

  2. Hi,

     

    I got the Sigma 17-70mm Zoom lens and was wondering what would be the correct Sea & Sea port that will also allow me to take some wide angle shots? I have the compact macro port and along with a Kenko 1.4 extender works fine(even though I lose 20% or so of field of view). Without the extender, part of the port shows up in the photos.

     

    Would the compact Wide Port L be a good choice(recommended for the Sigma 18-50mm), or should I opt for a dome port?

     

    I like this lens very much for topside.. a little noisy but I think it has good low light and macro capabilities.

     

    Also, anyone tried the magic filter on this lens? Would it be recommended on such a lens?

     

    Thanks.

    I use the Sigma 17-70 on a Nikon D80 (135: ~ 26 to 105 FoV) with a Nexus 170 mm dome port and 40mm port extension. It is a good survey lens with modest macro (1:2.3) potential if you are not sure what you will find on a dive or for small to fairly large subjects. IMHO, you will lose too much of the wide end with a flat port or a 1.4x TE. I suggest you consider a dome port with the proper extension. Check with your S&S dealer.

    Bob

  3. I use the Sigma 17-70 on a Nikon D80 (135: ~ 26 to 105 FoV) with a Nexus 170 mm dome port and 40mm port extension. It is a good survey lens with modest macro (1:2.3) potential if you are not sure what you will find on a dive or for small to fairly large subjects. IMHO, you will lose too much of the wide end with a flat port or a 1.4x TE. I suggest you consider a dome port with the proper extension. Check with your S&S dealer.

    Bob

     

    Thanks.

     

    The only thing I'm afraid of with getting a dome port is that the resonably priced ones are acrylic. I have an acrylic aquarium and I am tired dealing with scratches. I know an optical dome would be the answer, but those are pricey.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.