Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Deleting differently named duplicates in Lightroom

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Deleting differently named duplicates in Lightroom

7 posts
  1. Hi,

    I'm doing a pretty good job organising all my photos in Lightroom, its a big job I must admit, but one thing I havent sussed yet, is how to group a set of duplicate photos together which I have named differently (in trying to acheive a good naming convention which I'm happy to say I think I have now!) and then delete the unwanted ones. and move onto the next set?

    I realise I may be able to do this looking at all of them in date order, but it seems a bit of a tedious way, and I cannot easily see the difference between all of them and also am not able to determine the file sizes of them all. I notice there is a "stack" option, does this keep all the similar ones together at all times?

     

     

    Cheers

    Woody :wacko:

     

    PS sorry if I've editted this a bit, trying to get my problem right!

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  2. :wacko:

     

    Anyone got any ideas on this?

     

    to add if anyones interested? Stacks works but it only hides the duplicates but doesn't delete the identical ones, use auto stacking under photo by capture time

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  3. Hi Woody,

    Are you using the keywords capability to help sort your photos? You can use the "Smart Collection" function to hone in on the images you want to see even if they are scattered in different folders. Then use the Survey view in the library to display 3 or 4 at the same time on the screen. If you collapse the upper menus on the right you'll be left with the metadata displayed and you'll be able to see the detailed info from each one. Then you can delete or keep as you want. Takes longer to explain than it does to do.

     

    Check out the back half of this video

     

     

    Hope that helps,

     

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  4. Hi Steve, thanks, yes I am using keywords and smart collections. I just found that stacks will not work in the smart collections though.

    I will try survey, tho I think it might take an age. I'll have a watch of the video too, thanks gain Steve

    Woody

  5. Good video Steve, thanks.

     

    Does anyone know how to display file size or to recognise it in a smart collection somehow?

  6. Does anyone know how to display file size or to recognise it in a smart collection somehow?

     

    In the Library Go to view options (Ctrl J) or in the View pull down on the top bar. Top option is "Show grid extras" select that and choose "show expanded cells" In the option screen you can pick want you want to display. I think that the file type and cropped diminsions is the default but you can change that.

     

    For the first question you can also use the "Library Filter" to find just about anything in the database. Hit the backslash key "\" to show the filter. You should be able to locate all the images you named differently with this tool.

     

    Good luck!

    Steve

  7. you're a star Steve, thanks, just in from the pub, I'll look a this in the morning, cheers: )

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.