Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Photoshop for U/W Photo

Started by thedidavid ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Photoshop for U/W Photo

11 posts
  1. After viewing succesful u/w photo I feel that Photoshop is become important part of post processing. I am just starting diving late last year and getting my DSLR rig for my first on my last trip to Bali. I am doing top side photography for quite number a years, but I always resist photohop. I always thinking get it right for the first time, like when I did when shooting with film camera. Now I am really thinking to seriously learn photoshop.

    When I was using Nikon I am using Nikon Capture, with Sony/Minolta CaptureOne, now with Canon I am using canon software DPP and thinking whether I should go for photoshop or lightroom,

    My purpose is to salvage photo that have lots of backscatter or and like in the attached photo. Anyone can give me some input? Thank you.

    post-26635-1259849947.jpg

    Edited by thedidavid
  2. HI David

     

    Try this site and dvd package from a WP member, Doug Sloss

     

    UW Photoshop

  3. Hi!

    Nice shot :wacko: What is it!?

     

    The easiest method for backscatter is the clone tool . If you google Jack and Sue Drafhals book, thats a good underwater photoshop intro http://www.jackandsuedrafahl.com/

    Also consider your flash position to help eliminate backscatter, and do not point it directly at the subject.

     

     

    Good luck!

     

    Cheers

    Woody

  4. HI David

     

    Try this site and dvd package from a WP member, Doug Sloss

     

    UW Photoshop

     

     

    Hey Mike,

     

    Thanks for the info.

     

    Any idea if they might come out with a video tutorial for Lightroom?

     

    Mike

  5. Hi Woody,

     

    I was told by our local guide is wire shrimp and based on my field guide is called Dasycaris zanzibarica. In this particular shot the sand was courtesy of my wife, I think she tried to bury me six feet under.

     

    Cheers,

    thedidavid

     

    Thanks for the link.

  6. HI David

     

    Try this site and dvd package from a WP member, Doug Sloss

     

    UW Photoshop

     

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for the link

  7. Hi David,

    Your past resistance to Photoshop might make you a great candidate for Lightroom. You can think of it as the tool to use to process your images. Much like in the good old days of taking your film into a darkroom. If you want to add things that weren't there or combine images in any way Photoshop is the way to go. If you want to easily process your RAW files and have a great tool to keep track of all your images Lightroom is the way to go. Most folks miss the fact that the complete name is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. They are made to go together. They have the same RAW engine and many of the same tools and interfaces.

     

    Sticker price for PS is $700 US and LR is $300.

    Lightroom is very much easier to learn (Lots of great videos at http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-20/) You could watch a few to see if you like it.

    Lightroom is built for photographers

    Photoshop is built for graphic designers (is my bias showing? :wacko: )

     

    At the end of the day you may need both sometime in the future. But I'd recommend you start with Lightroom. I have both and use LR 99% of the time.

     

    FWIW,

    Steve

  8. Sticker price for PS is $700 US and LR is $300.

    Lightroom is very much easier to learn (Lots of great videos at http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-20/) You could watch a few to see if you like it.

    Lightroom is built for photographers

    Photoshop is built for graphic designers (is my bias showing? :wacko: )

     

    Dear Steve,

     

    Same sentiment here about my past resistance to Photoshop (maybe I am biased too).

     

    Cheers,

    David

  9. Lightroom is built for photographers

    Photoshop is built for graphic designers (is my bias showing? :wacko: )

    Steve

     

    I have not heared this one before, but it sounds quite accurate.

     

    And David, I give my vote for Lightroom (for starters) as well.

     

    Karel

  10. Hi David,

     

    I used to use Photoshop a great deal, but find that I probably only use it for 5% of the images that I take. Lightroom pretty much does it all for me!

     

    The difference is that Photoshop is a graphics package, and as such does things I as a photographer am unlikely to need to do. Lightroom is designed to be a photographers tool.

     

    In terms of backscatter, Lightroom does have a correction tool.

     

    You can download a free trial of Lightroom here. Give it a try and see if you can get on with it!

     

    Best

     

    Adam

  11. After viewing succesful u/w photo I feel that Photoshop is become important part of post processing. I am just starting diving late last year and getting my DSLR rig for my first on my last trip to Bali. I am doing top side photography for quite number a years, but I always resist photohop. I always thinking get it right for the first time, like when I did when shooting with film camera. Now I am really thinking to seriously learn photoshop.

    When I was using Nikon I am using Nikon Capture, with Sony/Minolta CaptureOne, now with Canon I am using canon software DPP and thinking whether I should go for photoshop or lightroom,

    My purpose is to salvage photo that have lots of backscatter or and like in the attached photo. Anyone can give me some input? Thank you.

    I use the Spot Healing Brush Tool for backscatter, in situations like that one where there is only a fairly small amount of easily distinguishable spots.

     

    30 seconds of that tool to nuke the most noticeable backscatter, one swipe of the Shadows and Highlights tool (bump highlights about 18%) to tone down the fact that it's a little blown out, and I'm done. A subtle improvement, but improved it is.

     

    There are lots of other tricks that could be done, but I seldom spend more than that much time on a photo, else write it off and move onto the next one unless there is some reason the shot is worth extra time.

     

    Before:

    post266351259849947.jpg

    After:

    post266351259849947fix.jpg

    Edited by CompuDude
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.