Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

12-24DX Lens - A must have

Started by marriard ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

12-24DX Lens - A must have

11 posts
  1. You can have a thousand arguements about technical details, but this lens is outstanding. After some early frustration with digital wide angle, this lens gets me back to those reef scenics and wreck shots I enjoy taking so much. Still got some experimenting to do - I'll do that in Australia (leaving Thursday)

     

    Had to drive fours hours south to Looe Key for some visibility, but it was worth it. Healthy reef and some nice scenics. Edges sharp (except when they were in front of the depth of field as expected)

     

    22003_0920_151128AA_1.jpg

    22003_0920_151336AA_1.jpg

     

    Some lower vis in California also produced some OK results, even with the green water.

     

    22003_0911_152044AA_1.jpg

    22003_0911_153203AA_1.jpg

     

    Enjoy,

    M

  2. Hey Paul - glad you're on the team. I've been "cheerleading" for this lens for months after my first 5 or 10 dives with it. The lens is truly designed optically for digital use. Far superior to just shooting a 14mm or a fisheye in my opinion.

     

    It's "the bomb!"

     

    Have fun in Oz. What are y'all going to do over there?

     

    FWIW, I think you should go to the LB Aquarium for your layover in LA...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Paul,

     

    Very nice shots. What settings did you use for those? Did you use a diopter?

     

    I'm leaving for the Galapagos this Friday and will be using the 12-24mm in the Ike housing for the first time. I really haven't shot WA before. Do you have any tips on settings to start out with or general WA strategies. Any help would be appreciated.

     

    Have a great time in Oz!!!

     

    John

  4. John,

     

    You need to get some practice in before you get to the Galapagos. Chasing whale sharks around is not the right time to have a "learning experience."

     

    Setting up the camera for WA is easy. Adjust fstop and shutterspeed to get a nice blue background. This will only take a couple of frames at the beginning of the dive.

     

    The rest (oh, say 90%) is lighting technique. Work on your lighting technique - strobe aiming and strobe power.

     

    Remember that when you adjust ISO up, you will need lots less strobe power. If you are shooting full power at ISO100, then you will shoot 1/2 at ISO200 and 1/4 at ISO400.

     

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. James,

     

    Thanks for the info. I'll try to get in a few dives out of Puerto Arroyo before the Aggressor next week. Otherwise, I hope I learn fast!!! I was supposed to go out of Ventura harbor 2 weeks ago to practice with the 12-24mm but the boat got cancelled due to mechanical problems.

     

    This may be a very stupid question (one I have been afraid to ask - but now I'm getting desperate).

    Is the minimum focusing distance affected at all by the aperture? I would think not as the dome would not work if the camera couldn't focus at all F-stops at less than 11 inches or so.

     

    For instance, for Whale Sharks (isn't that optimistic) , I was planning on starting at F8 and adjust the shutter to get a nice blue. I was also going to try blue water shots w/out the strobe in shallow water or when trying to get the whole fish in the pic where strobes wouldn't cover.

     

     

    Thanks again,

     

    John

  6. John,

     

    Here's some free advice. It defies all conventional wisdom of underwater shooting.

     

    First, the whale sharks we saw were in the 30-40 ft. range. This means your strobes will never light up the whole fish. Second, they move. You will be finning like mad. If you are lucky you can get in its path early, but often you have to catch up. The encounter can be a fleeting moment. Depths of the encounters ranged from 30 ft. to 90 ft. They change depth a lot. Your camera angle will vary considerably.

     

    I normally shoot manual, but I quickly realized there wasn't time to get the same shot twice. I would have to have my fingers ready to twirl dials pretty fast to adjust. It wasn't working for me.

     

    If you switch to aperture priority, the camera will set a minimum of 1/60 shutter speed, unless you adjust your flash to slow sync. If you use slower than 1/60, you can get some motion blur, not in the whale shark, but anything else in the image.

     

    I set the camera to shutter priority, something I rarely use. I set ISO at 250 or 320 to gain a slightly smaller aperture. Visibility is limited and the sun doesn't shine much. Based on what I was seeing on my LCD and lap top, I used a -.3 exposure compensation. Now that I am home on my calibrated monitor, I should have left the EV alone. I set flash to 1/2 power. The worst thing you could do is blow out the part of the shark closest to you. Again, it's mostly an ambient light shot.

     

    So, I reduced it to a point and shoot and spent my time wandering in the open blue and finning like a mad man when opportunity knocked. All the exposures are within 2/3 of an f/stop of perfect.

     

    The first ws image I am working on was; shutter priority, 1/60, f/9, ISO 320, EV -.3. Having just pulled it up in PS. I adjusted the exposure up .3.

  7. Let's see if I can post a quickie.

     

     

     

    aaa.jpg

  8. Have fun in Oz. What are y'all going to do over there?

    Three weeks in Oz:

     

    Basically week one is Sydney - all the traditional sights (opera house, harbour bridge, etc, etc) , zoo (all the Oz animals I need photographed), etc. Not going to get a dive in, though I wish I was.

     

    Week two is out on my relatives property in the Queensland woodlands outside Mackay (look at an Atlas). Not rainforest, but traditional Australian cattle country. Should be landscape and nature photographic heaven. Having a bit of a family reunion there as well.

     

    Week three is Mike Ball's Spoilsport out to the Coral Sea/ Yongala Wreck. They say they average 31 dives on this trip.

     

    Then home where I will need another vacation to recover from this one (Cozumel over thanksgiving....)

     

    M

  9. Yep, it's alright for some eh!

     

    1 month around South East Asia then 4 months in Seychelles, Aldabra and Madagaskar to get over it lol!

     

    Scorpio, hope you didn't mind a quick tweek?

  10. George,

     

    Can't wait to see some more pix man!

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. Lovely shots, Paul. I absolutely agree that the 12-24 DX is a fantastic tool for wide-angle. Basically, it gives restricted-sensor-frame digital cameras the same range of acceptance angles (and first rate optics excellence) that the 17-35 provided to full-frame film SLR cameras. Some wide-angles I've taken with this lens have been sharper and better than anything I was ever able to do with a prime 20 mm lens on a film camera, though some of that difference may be attributable to use of a different dome.

     

    But the technical discussion on the other thread is relevant for anyone considering acquiring this lens. I've been knocked out by the 12-24 DX, but it's becoming clear that results can be disappointing if the lens is used with an inappropriate dome, and/or incorrect extension ring or diopter. There's no universal answer to the question of what is the "right" extension ring or diopter - this depends on the dome. Until more housing manufacturers' have come out with authoritative recommendations on the optimum configuration for their equipment, prospective purchasers of the 12-24 DX will have to rely on other users in the community of u/w photographers for information to help them decide whether this lens will work for them. (So Paul, please tell us, what dome, what extension ring, what diopter were you using.)

     

    Let me also endorse James and Scorpio_Fish's advice to John. Shooting wide-angle with a film camera has usually meant (at least for me) using ISO 100 film (Provia), and that often meant working at the edge of usable exposure values except when shooting very shallow near mid-day in bright sunlight. In essence, that meant shooting manual, often with the aperture wide open or close to it, with all the negative implications (for depth-of-field, edge-to-edge sharpness, vignetting, etc.).

     

    Digital cameras which perform well at ISO 200 or 400 (and which can be switched to even higher ISO values mid-"roll") are a very different situation, there's so much more EV room to work in. Aperture priority mode never worked for me when I was shooting film wide angle, but it seems to work very well with a digital SLR. Just remember to keep an eye on the shutter speeds the camera is giving you. If the ambient light level changes, or your subject moves to a different position relative to you and direction of sun, you may need to adjust aperture.

     

    Since you're using the Fuji S2 Pro, you have the option of TTL as well as manual strobe. Provided you're close enough to the subject and it fills a substantial portion of the frame, TTL can work well for wide-angle. I've found that you need to set the flash compensation to -0.5 or -1.0. Aperture priority can be convenient in fast-moving situations shooting pelagics etc., where it can be difficult or time-consuming to adjust manual settings on both strobes between shots. Once you have the right aperture-shutter speed combination (in manual) for the ambient background dialled in correctly - of if aperture priority is doing its job - you can bracket the power of both strobes up and down with the flash compensation controls while taking a near-continuous series of shots. It's worth practising a bit with the controls so that you're comfortable adjusting flash compensation while looking through the viewfinder.

     

    Robert Delfs

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.