I have a Canon Ixus 870 IS and am going on a snorkelling trip to the Indian Ocean. I wonder whether to purchase a Canon D10 instead or a case/bag for my existing canon to take decent photos. The housing costs almost as much as D10 but I came across this site: http://www.beachplay.co.uk/index.php?act=v...amp;productId=4
and was wondering whether this would be too much of a compromize.
Would appreciate some advice.
Thanks,
maldives
Hello,
I have a Canon Ixus 870 IS and am going on a snorkelling trip to the Indian Ocean. I wonder whether to purchase a Canon D10 instead or a case/bag for my existing canon to take decent photos. The housing costs almost as much as D10 but I came across this site: http://www.beachplay.co.uk/index.php?act=v...amp;productId=4
and was wondering whether this would be too much of a compromize.
Would appreciate some advice.
Thanks,
maldives
Two primary considerations. 1. you plan to snorkel to any depth to reach significant pressure? 2. you plan to show family and friends only some small prints or are you planning to step up in your photography?
D10 and a hard case will allow you to take pictures below 10ft and growth into a future DSLR system and a new addiction .
Bo
Two primary considerations. 1. you plan to snorkel to any depth to reach significant pressure? 2. you plan to show family and friends only some small prints or are you planning to step up in your photography?
D10 and a hard case will allow you to take pictures below 10ft and growth into a future DSLR system and a new addiction .
Bo
Thanks for the reply! I also have a Nikon d60 but getting hard cases for DSLRS would set me back over 1k from what I have seen. I want to keep it simple for now and see if underwater photography will turn me on as much as regular one does! So this is a try out. I don't think it will be possible to dive below 10ft when snorkelling anyway.
Can you think of any advantages of getting d10 over the (rubbish-looking-but-cheap)bag for my existing Canon? (apart from 10ft limitations which I don't think I will break by snorkelling). Maybe I will get both in case one of the items lets me down. But if the plastic bag is a waste of time, please let me know.
... I don't think it will be possible to dive below 10ft when snorkelling anyway...
It's easy to get down as far as 20' with only a little practice, and not that hard to go deeper...
... the problem with a camera is staying still while you find a subject, then getting the image.
Tim
It's easy to get down as far as 20' with only a little practice, and not that hard to go deeper...
... the problem with a camera is staying still while you find a subject, then getting the image.
Tim
I wonder if underwater cameras (such as d10) are at all superior in terms of image quality to normal cameras (like my other Canon Ixus) because they are built purposely for underwater, or are they essentially the same, with the difference that d10 is waterproof?
It's easy to get down as far as 20' with only a little practice, and not that hard to go deeper...
... the problem with a camera is staying still while you find a subject, then getting the image.
But is for example the flash going to work ok under water with the plastic over it?
Just wonder if optics are in any way optimized for underwater cameras, over regular ones. (Sorry for naive questions.)
I wonder if underwater cameras (such as d10) are at all superior in terms of image quality to normal cameras (like my other Canon Ixus) because they are built purposely for underwater, or are they essentially the same, with the difference that d10 is waterproof?