Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dual sync cord connectors on Sea & Sea

Started by lindai ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Dual sync cord connectors on Sea & Sea

4 posts
  1. My new Sea & Sea housing has two Nikonos-type connectors. Assuming both are TTL-type connectors, which is what I ordered, is there any difference between them? Is one primary and one secondary? Can I hook up a dual sync cord to either one? If I only use one strobe, does it matter which it is connected to? Can I connect two strobes with either a dual cord or two single cords?

     

    If both are identical, and neither is primary/secondary, and I want to use two strobes, one in TTL and one in manual, how does that work? (With one or two sync cords?)

     

    Confusing, I know, but I can't find any literature that explains the usage or restrictions.

     

    Thanks, Linda I.

  2. Both ports are indentical. A dual cord will work on either one. It doesn't matter which one you attach a single strobe to.

     

    TTL/manual setting is on the strobe itself. To run one in ttl and one manual, set the strobes appropriately.

  3. Linda also asked whether she can connect two strobes with either a dual OR two single cords.

     

    For some camera and strobe combinations, connecting two strobes with single cords may cause problems because both strobes will be sending a READY signal back to the camera on the same line. A work-around is to disable the READY signal on one sync cord.

     

    As far as I know, this is the only time there is a meaningful distinction between PRIMARY and SECONDARY strobes - the primary strobe is the strobe with the live READY signal connection to the camera. On Ikelite double cords, the SECONDARY connector is disabled and marked with a red collar - I don't know about Sea & Sea double cords.

     

    R.

  4. Thanks very much for the responses. It sounds like to be safe when using two strobes I should use a dual sync cord. One reason I asked about the primary and secondary was the Ikelite cords (which I have been using in the past) which as Roger mentioned designate a primary and seconday strobe. I will have to see when I get my Sea & Sea dual sync cord if it also designates a primary and secondary......

    And to reiterate, when using one strobe it doesn't matter which port it is connected to.

     

    Thanks, Linda

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.