Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Cold air temperatures affecting battery performance?

Started by Timmoranuk ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Cold air temperatures affecting battery performance?

6 posts
  1. Right about now I'm expecting the air temperature in the UK to start to fall dramatically and for camera and strobe batteries this can be a significant problem.

     

    Take last year for example. I was shooting the World Record Underwater Ironing at NDAC in January. Air temps were only a couple of degrees above freezing and my OEM Canon batteries were dying in 20 or so (topside) shots. Putting them in my pocket was a workaround and I was able to take the important u/w 'record' photos without a hitch. But juggling a drysuit and a pocket and batteries was a task I didn't enjoy...

     

    I've found this gadget: http://www.skjp.com/product/10190 and took delivery of a couple today. They seem absolutely perfect for maintaining a warm temperature for a few batteries in an unheated car or my fitted out camera van / camper.

     

    Hope this helps WP's temperate water divers... Tim

  2. Hey Tim

    You can also get some of those chemical hand warmers and tape them over your camera battery compartment to keep the batteries warm while they are in the camera. If you get the chemical toe warmers they have adhesive tape already on them. Hope this helps.

    Keep Warm

    Mike

    Edited by Beach Bum
  3. Hey Tim

    You can also get some of those chemical hand warmers and tape them over your camera battery compartment to keep the batteries warm while they are in the camera. If you get the chemical toe warmers they have adhesive tape already on them. Hope this helps.

    Keep Warm

    Mike

     

    Mike,

    Will these actually won't work very long once you close the housing. They work through an oxidation reaction that requires moisture and oxygen. Will the oxygen in the chamber be consumed? Will there be enough moisture? Very curious.

    Cheers,

    James

    Edited by tri4funnow
  4. :(

    Hey Tim,

    I thought you guys had finally gone around the bend or you had some strange new definition for ironing I didn't know. (Wouldn't be the first time us colonials didn't understand English) :lol: But you really set the world record for ironing underwater! http://www.ndac.co.uk/extremeironing/

     

    I was laughing until I saw how much you made for charity. :lol:

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  5. Hey Steve, it was an amazing total raised for the Royal National Lifeboat Institute. In the UK, the maritime rescue service (RNLI) dosn't receive any government funding whatsoever and is totally reliant on public donations and fundraising. All kudos goes Morag Ward who is UK diving's chief RLNI tin-rattler!! Yup, 14 grand has to be a result!

  6. :)

    Hey Tim,

    I thought you guys had finally gone around the bend or you had some strange new definition for ironing I didn't know. (Wouldn't be the first time us colonials didn't understand English) :huh: But you really set the world record for ironing underwater! http://www.ndac.co.uk/extremeironing/

     

    I was laughing until I saw how much you made for charity. ;)

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Were not all that crazy over here Steve, just ask my psychiatrist.

     

    Stew

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.