Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Fisheye lens for full frame

Started by matt215 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Fisheye lens for full frame

8 posts
  1. i need to get a fisheye lens for my canon 5d mk2 (full frame sensor). i had my heart set on the tokina 10-17, but have heard that this may not be a good idea with a full frame sensor. so, that being the case, what is a good fisheye lens for a full frame sensor camera?

  2. Canon 15mm is what was recommended to me when I gave up my 10-17.

  3. i need to get a fisheye lens for my canon 5d mk2 (full frame sensor). i had my heart set on the tokina 10-17, but have heard that this may not be a good idea with a full frame sensor. so, that being the case, what is a good fisheye lens for a full frame sensor camera?

     

    In the last Wetpixel Quarterly, there were four wideangle shots taken with a 5D Mk2. Every one of them used the Canon 15mm fisheye lens.

     

    Your other option for a full frame wideangle sensor would be the Canon 14mm rectilinear lens, but that's much more expensive.

  4. i need to get a fisheye lens for my canon 5d mk2 (full frame sensor). i had my heart set on the tokina 10-17, but have heard that this may not be a good idea with a full frame sensor. so, that being the case, what is a good fisheye lens for a full frame sensor camera?

     

    Your choices for Canon Full frame fisheyes are either the Canon 15mm or Sigma 15mm. There isn't much to choose between the two.

     

    I have recently also used the Sigma 10mm fisheye ( made for cropped sensors ) with a 1.4 teleconverter and love it ! Its even wider than the other two.

     

    HTH

  5. I don't shoot Canon so don't know their lenses very well. However, I used to own the Nikon 16mm Fisheye. After I bought my Nikon lens, I found myself wishing I'd bought the Sigma 15mm lens for its closer minimum focusing distance.

     

    I was curious and checked out the difference in minimum focusing distance between the Canon 15 FE and the Sigma 15 FE. As with the comparison of the Nikon to the Sigma, the minimum focus distance is shorter with the Sigma:

     

    Sigma 15 Minimum focusing distance - 5.9"

    Canon 15 Minimum focusing distance - 7.9"

     

    I don't know if that would make any difference at all, especially considering dome port takes up some of that distance, but wanted to point out that there was a difference.

     

    Ellen

  6. I don't shoot Canon so don't know their lenses very well. However, I used to own the Nikon 16mm Fisheye. After I bought my Nikon lens, I found myself wishing I'd bought the Sigma 15mm lens for its closer minimum focusing distance.

     

    I was curious and checked out the difference in minimum focusing distance between the Canon 15 FE and the Sigma 15 FE. As with the comparison of the Nikon to the Sigma, the minimum focus distance is shorter with the Sigma:

     

    Sigma 15 Minimum focusing distance - 5.9"

    Canon 15 Minimum focusing distance - 7.9"

     

    I don't know if that would make any difference at all, especially considering dome port takes up some of that distance, but wanted to point out that there was a difference.

     

    Ellen

    Maybe less of a difference than you might think. I believe that the canon specification is from the sensor not the front of the lens but I could be mistaken.

    Bill

  7. Maybe less of a difference than you might think. I believe that the canon specification is from the sensor not the front of the lens but I could be mistaken.

    Bill

     

    Is the Sigma specification measured from the same place (from the sensor, front of the lens, or whatever) that the Canon specification is measured?

     

     

    Ellen

  8. These differences actually become more significant underwater because the lens is focusing on a virtual image. For close focus wide angle I strongly favour the Sigma 15mm over the Nikon 16mm, for this reason. Although the Nikon definitely resists flare more than the Sigma, so I will always choose that lens when I want to incorporate the sun in my shots. I realise this is a Canon thread, but thought it might be a useful observation.

     

    Alex

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.