Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Fuji S2 question

Started by Lionfish43 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Fuji S2 question

7 posts
  1. I'm getting ready to make the big leap to a DSLR and I'm leaning heavily towards the Fuji S2. My question is for Fuji S2 owners. Would you purchase an S2 again if you had it to do over? Or, would you wait for a newer model to come out (S3 or D200)

     

    My two main areas of concern are AF and viewfinding. The camera I'm using now is the 8008s which doesn't autofocus worth a crap so I'm hoping this will be an upgrade.

     

    Comments please.

  2. Yes, I'd do it again - and have. I bought a second S2 after I flooded one...

     

    The AF is decent - better than your film camera. The viewfinder on the camera isn't very big but has a lot of info. Both the S2 and D100 are excellent cameras which will give you years of enjoyment and thousands of frames.

     

    If you always wait for the next model of camera to be introduced in this digital "arena" then you won't even buy a camera. Even if a new replacement for the S2 or D100 is introduced tomorrow it will still be a year before you can get your hands on a housing.

     

    So I'd recommend jumping in now. Things are evolving so fast in digital that it's better to get a camera that's been out for a while so that OTHERS have already worked the bugs out and figured out which domes and gears to use, etc.

     

    My opinion only.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Hello,

     

    I've been using an S2 in an Ike housing. I'd buy another S2 in a heartbeat. The TTL is what swayed me and it works very well.

     

    Happy diving,

     

    John

  4. Would you purchase an S2 again if you had it to do over? Or, would you wait for a newer model to come out (S3 or D200)

     

    My two main areas of concern are AF and viewfinding. The camera I'm using now is the 8008s which doesn't autofocus worth a crap so I'm hoping this will be an upgrade.

    I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

     

    I certainly wouldn't wait for the next generation as there is not even a release date for any new camera, and then it is 6-12 months before a housing is ready - maybe longer.

     

    So if you wait you are looking for minimally 18 months before you could dive the camera. Perhaps longer. I haven't even seen a prototype for a S3 or even confirmation there even will be an S3 (though I want there to be).

     

    M

     

    PS. Huge upgrade from the 8008

  5. Yes, and - to join the refrain - in a hearatbeat.

     

    I've just made the same jump you're contemplating - from the F801s (aka N8008) to the S2. It won't bother me at all if the S3 or something else comes out next week or next month. I'm pretty confident that this camera and housing will keep me happy and busy for a good long time.

  6. Thanks to everyone that replied. I had already made up my mind but I just wanted a little reassurance before I made a $5000 commitment (camera body + housing + ports.) I called B&H this morning and my S2 is on the way.

     

    Now, what about the housing: Aquatica, Subal, Seacam...and does anyone know when the 10.5 will be available.

  7. An interesting question. Earlier this year my F100 and D100 housings were lost on route to the Red Sea. They turned up again, but I had several days wondering what to do if they were lost. I had both cameras in my hand luggage. Anyway I decided I would get another F100 housing, but would wait for D200/D2X/S3 etc for digital. Anyway the housings turned up and its academic.

     

    So in contrast to the S2 owners I wouldn't necessarily race out and buy a replacement DSLR if I lost my D100. Dunno if that says more about the D100 v S2 or more about me!

     

    In the UK the 10.5mm is due out in the second week of October. And since I resisted the 12-24mm, I have one on order!

     

    Alex

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.