Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

flooded g10

Started by MATT S ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

flooded g10

8 posts
  1. my worst nightmare came true i flooded my g10 with a 16g memory card that had 800 photos while i was on holiday in the micronesia. hopfully my travel insurance covers it. Just trying to find out if you can use the g11 in the g10 housing? and if you can recover the photos of the card? the card worked as soon as i put it in another camera but once i started to download them it said card error so i soaked it in fresh water whith some rubbing alcohol to help dry it out. dont know if I should have done that but I thought I had to get the salt water out.

  2. I flooded my G9 last year and left it for 2 days in the sun etc, but nothing, so I rinsed it in the sink, shook it around, and got the hair dryer on it then left it out in the sun for another day or 2, and surprisingly it then worked! altho not prerfectly but u never know your luck

    Good luck!!

    Travel insurance if standard will probably only give you a max of £300 back but your home insurance may pay the rest

  3. Matt,

     

    What housing do you have? The likely answer is no...Fisheye, Ikelite and Canon all had to come out with new housings for the G11.

  4. I can also say a definate no for the G10 into a G9 housing or vice versa, I tried it the sane time I flooded my G9 off a friendly holiday maker :D He was willing to let me use it on the rest of my dives!!!

  5. Caution!!!Caution!!!Caution!!!

     

    the flash card should work after it is completly dry. But use a pc u do not care about, so if it fries the pc or flash card, you do not care about losing the pc and flash card. Flash cards are very durable with heat/cold and yes, Water.

     

    I lost my usb drive for 4 months, I found it outside in my garden after many rainstorms all summer, still works.

  6. my worst nightmare came true i flooded my g10 with a 16g memory card that had 800 photos while i was on holiday in the micronesia. hopfully my travel insurance covers it. Just trying to find out if you can use the g11 in the g10 housing? and if you can recover the photos of the card? the card worked as soon as i put it in another camera but once i started to download them it said card error so i soaked it in fresh water whith some rubbing alcohol to help dry it out. dont know if I should have done that but I thought I had to get the salt water out.

     

    Sorry to hear about that - that really sucks :D

     

    Try sticking the memory card in a bag/bottle of rice - the rice will suck up any ambient moisture, and hopefully that cures it. But if you've stuck it in various electronics.. hope it works. Try bringing it to a data recovery specialist as well..

     

    As for a G10 in a G9 housing, likely not to work - the buttons move ever so slightly between versions that typically they won't fit/work between models. My OEM housing does not work with our new G11..

  7. my worst nightmare came true i flooded my g10 with a 16g memory card that had 800 photos while i was on holiday in the micronesia. hopfully my travel insurance covers it. Just trying to find out if you can use the g11 in the g10 housing? and if you can recover the photos of the card? the card worked as soon as i put it in another camera but once i started to download them it said card error so i soaked it in fresh water whith some rubbing alcohol to help dry it out. dont know if I should have done that but I thought I had to get the salt water out.

     

     

    Bummer, did that as well with my daughter's SD750. Had to replace the camera good thing found one in Ebay. May I know what were the circumstances your housing got flooded? In my case I was just at 10 feet when I noticed water inside so I rushed back to the surface, flushed with fresh water, air dried, stored in silica 3 days. Should have disassembled and rinsed because the fresh water didn't reach the innards. But the memory card was good to go and still using it on the replacement.

  8. Bummer, did that as well with my daughter's SD750. Had to replace the camera good thing found one in Ebay. May I know what were the circumstances your housing got flooded? In my case I was just at 10 feet when I noticed water inside so I rushed back to the surface, flushed with fresh water, air dried, stored in silica 3 days. Should have disassembled and rinsed because the fresh water didn't reach the innards. But the memory card was good to go and still using it on the replacement.

     

     

    the flood was totally my fault i had the thin piece of the hand strap caught in the canon housing. so angry at myself i am usally so carefull.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.