Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Ikelite housing/non ikelite strobe questions

Started by Shoreliner11 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite housing/non ikelite strobe questions

2 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

     

    I just bought a used ikelite housing with my 40d, and will be limited to working with the canon 60mm macro for the foreseeable future (not enough $$$ for a dome port and a strobe). I have not bought a strobe yet and am weighing my options. I've done a bit of reading on the forums but still have some questions about strobes. First of all, I'd like to by a used ds125 but the price may be a little much after chords and arms are factored in. I'm not sure I want to try and find a used ds50 as I want a strobe that'll grow with me when I finally get into wide angle. I've been looking at a used sea and sea ys110 and some used inon strobes but I'm rather unclear with their different TTL functions. From what I can tell, I'll lose the TTL function which may or may not be a huge deal depending on your opinion (though some like it for macro). Can someone weigh in on my dilemma? Specifically those using similar setups (ikelite housing) with a non ikelite strobe. Thanks for your time.

     

    Aaron

    Edited by Shoreliner11
  2. I have used an Ikelite housing for my D80 with 2 Sea & Sea YS0110 strobes. Worked well, but no TTL available of course. I chose the Sea & Sea strobes because they're smaller, lighter and take rechargeable AA batteries. That setup served me well for almost 2 years. It takes a bit more fiddling to set the strobe power and you're bound to blind a few shrimp or underexpose fish portraits every now & then, but it works fine.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.