Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Dubious idea for rating sites/destinations

Started by Simon Rogerson ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Dubious idea for rating sites/destinations

17 posts
  1. This is such a terrible idea I have no option but to share it. We all need to know how good a site or destination is, but it's hard to get across in a succinct manner. I thought - why not a points system, based on points accrued for sightings of certain marine creatures? The idea is not to find as many of one type as possible, but to note that at least one has been seen, tick it off your list and add the points up.

     

    The problem, of course, is how many points to ascribe to said critters. For instance, how would you rate a bobtail squid as opposed to, say, a harlequin ghost pipefish? In the end, subjectivity is the only route (and probably also the reason why my idea is terrible, and thus doomed). I drew up a list of critters and gave them all points out of 10, based on rarity and general appeal. Vulgar, eh? Anyway, I did it, and here's the list. Additions, opinions and outrage are all welcome.

     

    Standard nice seahorse 7

    Pygmy seahorse 7

    Weedy sea dragon 9

    Leafy sea dragon 10

    Ambon scorpionfish 7

    Rhinopias Scorpionfish 10

    Bog standard scorpionfish 4

    Octopus (common) 5

    Mimic octopus 9

    Blue-ringed octopus 9

    Cuttlefish 6

    Flambuoyant cuttlefish 7

    Giant cuttlefish 7

    Reef squid 6

    Bobtail squid 7

    Chambered nautilus 8

    Longnose hawkfish 7

    Boxer crab 8

    Orang-utan crab 7

    Porcelain crab 7

    Lionfish 4

    Moray eel 5

    Snake eel 6

    Garden eel 4

    Frogfish 9

    Walking batfish 8

    Toadfish 10

    Ghost pipefish 8

    Seamoth 6

    Stonefish 7

    Waspfish 8

    Crocodilefish 6

    Butterflyfish 3

    Anemonefish 6

    Damselfish 2

    Mandarinfish 9

    Jawfish 6

    Boxfish 5

    Flatworm 2

    Christmas tree worm 4

    Nudibranch (common) 5

    Nudibranch (rare and pretty) 7

    Spanish dancer 7

    Mantis shrimp 6

    Cleaner shrimp 6

    Seawhip shrimp 6

    Anemone shrimp 4

    Coleman’s shrimp 7

    Bog standard commensal shrimp 4

    Bumblebee shrimp 6

    Harlequin shrimp 7

    Emperor shrimp 5

    Cowrie 4

    Goby and partner shrimp basic 6

    Pike 1

    Edited by Simon Rogerson
  2. Pike is a bloody 10 mate!

     

    Dean (not Mike really) B

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    that would be a massive list Simon.

     

    As you say, very subjective for sure, for instance i really enjoy photographing lionfish which you give a 4 to

     

    interesting idea but would be a tough one to get people to agree on the ratings

  3. I thought I'd put the pike in to smoke out Dean, but he's probably troubling trout somewhere.

     

    I'm hoping to hear everyone's different pov on the subjective calls of which fish are interesting. I too love shooting lionfish, but it's getting to the point where you see them pretty much everywhere in the tropics.

     

    The size of the potential list is a big problem, I admit.

  4. Can't be trout bothering :-

     

    A: Its not allowed.

    B: There is probably a mothercare facility on the route to the quarry, which will hamper progress significantly.

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  5. As the Tv leg-end Alan Titchmarsh once said "There's a creature in our waters just as impressive as any other your find on a tropical reef..." And he wasn't talking about me or even (occasionally) Alex Mustard ...

     

    Pike 8

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean ( Mothercare on-route to Stoney ... Please NO !!! )

  6. Can't be trout bothering :-

     

    A: Its not allowed.

    B: There is probably a mothercare facility on the route to the quarry, which will hamper progress significantly.

     

    LOL. :D;);):):lol:

  7. The problem, of course, is how many points to ascribe to said critters. For instance, how would you rate a bobtail squid as opposed to, say, a harlequin ghost pipefish? In the end, subjectivity is the only route (and probably also the reason why my idea is terrible, and thus doomed). I drew up a list of critters and gave them all points out of 10, based on rarity and general appeal. Vulgar, eh? Anyway, I did it, and here's the list. Additions, opinions and outrage are all welcome.

     

    Must admit that I don't favour the idea of scoring dives by points or what it would become - diving for points (divers racing around trying to out score each other, but not enjoying any of the encounters). But it is a fun system to talk about.

     

    Although you should have a multiplier for different behaviours. Feeding/predation - multiply by 2, mating multiply by 3.

     

    So hunting flambo scores you 14, mating (standard) seahorses 21.

     

    For British divers you need scores for rusting metal.

    Winch 1

    Bow 2

    Bridge 3

    Propellor 5

    Boiler 5

    WW2 vehicle 8

    Gun 9

    Brass, still in place 10

    Skull 0 - (you're diving on a war grave! go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200)

     

    post-713-1260527077.jpg

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  8. Must admit that I don't favour the idea of scoring dives by points or what it would become - diving for points (divers racing around trying to out score each other, but not enjoying any of the encounters). But it is a fun system to talk about.

     

    Although you should have a multiplier for different behaviours. Feeding/predation - multiply by 2, mating multiply by 3.

    Skull 0 - (you're diving on a war grave! go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200)

     

    Alex

     

     

    Mmmm. Nice skull - could be used to advertise cider. I'm the first to admit this is a terrible idea, but there is an underlying truth - that each of us personally ascribes a value to a decent sighting/encounter/opportunity. This is just a rather crass way of trying to understand how we arrive at our 'values', how much we have in common and what are the most sought-after underwater experiences.

     

    I didn't bother drawing up a wide angle chart because it is even more complicated. I'd give 100 points for a school of hammerheads, but take away 50 if the thermocline is too thick to shoot through. This has happened to me.

    Edited by Simon Rogerson
  9. Propellor 5

     

    :D No, no, no: you haven't got the right idea at all:

     

    Iron propellor -2

    Iron propellor + fish -5

    Phosphor-bronze propellor 8

    Phosphor-bronze propellor at 60+m on Trimix 16

    Phosphor-bronze propellor at 70+m on Trimix + mermaid 24

     

    etc, etc ;)

     

    This idea is on a par with underwater Ikea assembly and (I can't wait) underwater X-factor...

     

    ... I suggest:

     

    Alex Mustard can get a good photograph 1

    Eric Cheng can get a good photograph 2 (note European bias)

    I can get a good photograph 5

    Anyone can get a good photograph! 10

     

    :);)

     

    Tim

     

    :lol:

  10. For British divers you need scores for rusting metal.

    Winch 1

    Bow 2

    Bridge 3

    Propellor 5

    Boiler 5

    WW2 vehicle 8

    Gun 9

    Brass, still in place 10

    Skull 0 - (you're diving on a war grave! go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200)

     

    Brass/bronze needs its own scale:-

     

    Prop - 2

    Porthole - 3

    Porthole with glass - 4

    All portholes, with glass, in place - 8

    Compass - 9

    Compass in binnacle - 10

    Two compasses on one wreck - 20

    Steam engine inlet - 9

    Speaking tubes - 8

    Binoculars - 9

    Rangefinding equipment/periscope - 8

     

    Objects themselves are not interesting. Their context is more important than a mere trophy.

     

    Not disturbing or photographing human remains is a specific clause for anyone who gets a permit to visit a Controlled Site.

     

    This idea is on a par with underwater Ikea assembly and (I can't wait) underwater X-factor...

     

    Flatpack has indeed been done.....Strictly Come Diving too......but X-factor? Now there's an idea....... :D

  11. This is getting out of hand.

     

    Can't we just go back to baiting Dean???

     

    Paul C

  12. Some young lass baited Dean already, he will never be the same..

     

    Dean (only changing nappies now) B

  13. Some young lass baited Dean already, he will never be the same..

     

    Dean (only changing nappies now) B

     

    June 17th ... Until then its business as usual ... Well :D if jax allows it ???

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean ( in denial) B

  14. June 17th ... Until then its business as usual ...

     

    June 17th 2028 - when we'll next be seeing you!

  15. June 17th 2028 - when we'll next be seeing you!

     

     

    :D

     

    Thats about right ...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  16. Could be later than that Alex - I was darn near 30 years old before I was evicted from the nest.

     

    In fact come to think of it I still have a room full of 'stuff' at my folks place......

     

    Factor in uni fee's and suchlike - would have been better to have an 'accident' with an up and over door Dean...

     

    Paul C

     

    P.S the skull shot is a cracker Alex - darn near fell off my chair laughing - can you bring it to the Red Sea?

    Edited by PRC
  17. P.S the skull shot is a cracker Alex - darn near fell off my chair laughing - can you bring it to the Red Sea?

     

    And leave it in the Thistlegorm?! I'll post a series of the skull when I get a chance - but on another thread - we're dragging this one seriously off topic.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.