Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Oly E520 and PT05

Started by sooke ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Oly E520 and PT05

4 posts
  1. Impressed with my Canon G10 but starting to think about DSLR. Anyone have comments/experience with the Oly E520 and PT05 housing set up?

    One thing bothering me is I read on a thread the E520 in live view has shutter lag equal to a p&s camera. Any comments would be appreciated

    Many thanks.

  2. Live View on most DSLRs UW isn't all that usable, at least so far. The shutter lag, from the mirror swing, AF and release cycle is slow. E520 was pretty much that way. Very slightly better on the E620. But in regular viewfinder mode, it's pretty good, although a small VF to see through. But my old eyes can do it just fine, with a bit of practice.

     

    It's a light, very well-designed housing. Ports are dedicated to each lens, not my favorite design, as they get expensive and bulky to accumulate.

     

    But right now, that combo is very inexpensive and a great way to get started with a DSLR. Oly has awesome lenses.

     

    Here's an article on my blog:

    Junkyard Dogs

     

    Jack

  3. HI I came the other way to Oly E520. I was using a Nikon F4 and Aquatica housing and was worried that the Oly would not be good enough. I bought a system a year ago after Phil Rudin gave me some very sound advice.

     

    I have taken it on about 4 dive trips in the year and run off about a 1000 underwater exposures and I have to say that it is not just an intro into DSLR (Sorry Jack) but a system that is capable of producing images of a similar quality to anything that Nikon or Canon can produce IMHO. It is mainly to do with the lens and I use a 50mm macro mostly and occasionally the 14-42 which is a great lens as well.

     

    The system is light and easy to assemble the PT05 covers both of the lens I use, so the airline carry on is not so heavy.

     

    I plan to run this system until it runs no more or I dont, can't see any reason to upgrade.

     

    I have tried the live view underwater just for fun and it works OK except moving items but no real reason to use it anyway. The view finder is bright and surprisingly good, this is the one part I thought I would have to make a compromise on but I dont miss the DA-20 large viewfinder I had on the Nikon.

     

    Nikon and Canon are fine systems and I spent 6 months looking at the Nikon solutions as I owned all the lenses. I cannot imagine why any non professional underwater photographer would not find this system ideal and the savings of about $3-7k is significant.

     

    Lets hope the Nikon, Canon one eyes dont jump on this.

    Edited by ardy01
AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.