DXO has posted their ratings for the Canon 7D. Set it up compared to the 5D Mark II
Interesting. Also they have the 7D listed as 3 FPS ![]()
Read-only discussion
DXO has posted their ratings for the Canon 7D. Set it up compared to the 5D Mark II
Interesting. Also they have the 7D listed as 3 FPS ![]()
Disappointing... I was anxious for a better ranking, but not expecting it based on past Canon performance in there.
Either DxO guys are more Nikonians than I am or something is wrong with Canon.
Actually the whole Nikon APS-C lineup (D90, D300s and D5000) is still better then any Canon APS-C DSLR in DxOMark ranking.
The new 7D did not even top the D300, from Aug 2007, and we're still waiting D3000 score (not very good for uw...), though DPreview hints at very good image quality...
The good news for die-hard Canonians is that as I said before, it is the best APS-C sized sensor Canon DSLR so far.
At least the 7D sensor is considered better than the D60 (Jan 08), D40x (Mar 07) and D200 (Nov 05), a thing that no APS-C sized sensor Canon did so far...
An interesting analysis (as long as sensor quality goes in DxO Mark world) is to check the graphs on the following way:
Select:
- Brand: Canon
- Sensor: APS-C
It is basically a flat line since 2003 when the 10D was released...
Then Select:
- Brand: Nikon
- Sensor: APS-C
It is a much steeper line, Nikon improved it's sensor much more than Canon who seemed to be sleeping all these 6 years.
Since the D200 in late 2005 Nikon took the edge in there...
Good Luck
Either DxO guys are more Nikonians than I am or something is wrong with Canon.
It is important to remember that DxO is an average - so it is important to look at the features that you need.
I don't think that there is any bias in their results regarding manufacturers, back in the time of the Canon 1D mk2, Canon 1Ds Mk2, Canon 5D, the Canon cameras were well ahead of the Nikons. Now the newer Nikons are ahead. If there was an anti-Canon bias then those old cameras wouldn't have outscored the Nikons so significantly.
Alex
I don't think that there is any bias in their results regarding manufacturers... ...If there was an anti-Canon bias then those old cameras wouldn't have outscored the Nikons so significantly.
Alex
Yeah I remember those days, I was just kidding with my own Nikonisms. I never got really much into digital for underwater because of just that...
I kept shooting with my trusted F80s until I bought my D300!!! I had a D50 and a D80 with housing at that time, but shot too little with them, I preferred to shoot film then.
BTW I found the "Entry-Level" D3000 WELL BELOW what I expected, under the D40x and D60 that it replaced!!! OUCH!!! I guess it is Nikon's answer to the D50...
It is just too good that it is not the best recommendation for uwphoto...
)
Good Luck
I note that CMOS-sensors generally seem to score lower in colour depth than CCD:s in DXO:s tests. Anyone know what's up with that?
I think the most important conclusion one can draw from these tests is that there is no need for folks to change brands no matter which one they have, there's so little difference between them despite the marketing hype. Certainly Nikon users can feel comfortable that they are not being left behind by Canon who have a much larger and very persuasive marketing presence.
I think the most important conclusion one can draw from these tests is that there is no need for folks to change brands no matter which one they have, there's so little difference between them despite the marketing hype. Certainly Nikon users can feel comfortable that they are not being left behind by Canon who have a much larger and very persuasive marketing presence.
Well said!!!!!
Here is the link to do the overall comparison: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMa...Camera-rankings
The 7D is #31, the D3X is #2.
Looks like the 7D is suffering the small pixel size penalty, which was the case for Nikon as well, b4 FX. However, the D2H has a huge pixel size but rates very low, just old technology!
Its more marketting than anything 'wrong' I suspect - Canon is willing to take a small hit in DXOmark related measures to 'win' the MP and cropping wars, Nikon has chosen to forgo resolution in order to claim better noise etc. In practical terms it all means squat.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.