Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 24mm f/1.4 L II on FF Camera

Started by BWL ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 24mm f/1.4 L II on FF Camera

5 posts
  1. Is any one shooting the relatively new Canon 24mm f/1.4 L version II with their FF UW set-up? I'm trying to decide whether the supposedly improved corner/edge of frame performance is really superior to the 17-40 or 17-35mm L zoom offerings. If anyone is shooting this lens I'm curious to hear what diopter they are using. Thanks.

  2. Is any one shooting the relatively new Canon 24mm f/1.4 L version II with their FF UW set-up? I'm trying to decide whether the supposedly improved corner/edge of frame performance is really superior to the 17-40 or 17-35mm L zoom offerings. If anyone is shooting this lens I'm curious to hear what diopter they are using. Thanks.

     

    I have used all of the above lens with a 1dsMKII. If I could only use one it would be the 24mm 1.4. The center is tack sharp, and overall there is great color and contast. Behind a domeport, I can't really say the new version is any better than the old as both are fine lens. The corner performance using a 500d diopter and a subal FE2 domeport is excellent, much better than either of the zooms. There is no need to crop. With the above zooms I have noted a very slight amount of vignetting at the close end of the zooms. This goes away as you approach 20mm.

     

    In choosing one lens over another, the real issue is cost! The new 1.4mm and the 16-35mm are expensive. My work-around is to rent the lens. This strategy has allowed me to avoid purchasing what I consider to be a dog for UW work-the 14mm.

     

    imasleeper

    Edited by imasleeper
  3. I have used all of the above lens with a 1dsMKII. If I could only use one it would be the 24mm 1.4. The center is tack sharp, and overall there is great color and contast. Behind a domeport, I can't really say the new version is any better than the old as both are fine lens. The corner performance using a 500d diopter and a subal FE2 domeport is excellent, much better than either of the zooms. There is no need to crop. With the above zooms I have noted a very slight amount of vignetting at the close end of the zooms. This goes away as you approach 20mm.

     

    In choosing one lens over another, the real issue is cost! The new 1.4mm and the 16-35mm are expensive. My work-around is to rent the lens. This strategy has allowed me to avoid purchasing what I consider to be a dog for UW work-the 14mm.

     

    imasleeper

     

    imasleeper,

     

    Thanks for the feedback. The only way I can justify purchasing either the 24mm f/1.4 or 16-35mm is for dual purpose use - landscape photography and underwater. I currently only own manual focus WA lenses - none of which are really suitable for UW photography.

     

    BWL

  4. If you don't mind manual focus, you might want to consider the Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 ZE Lens for Canon EF.

     

     

    Walt,

     

    I actually did consider this, but when I asked Subal about a suitable focus ring and extension ring they replied that they would need me to send them the lens (as they have never determined the hardware to support the 21mmm Distagon). I think I'll let someone else do that work ... there is no guarantee that Subal will come up with a solution.

     

    BWL

    Edited by BWL
AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.