I just bought my first dSLR, and unlike my PAS, the neck strap provided with the camera and the process to remove the strap from the camera (to put into a housing), is much more "involved." I do not have the housing yet, but I was wondering if I purchased a neck strap with release buckles near the connection point, would the "connected" pieces of the strap on the camera fit inside the housing without interference.
This is keeping in mind that I only have the budget for one dSLR, otherwise, I would just leave the strap off the camera altogether.
Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!
There are a number of camera straps with quick disconnects. I like this Domke strap because it is small and secure. I admit, I just take the whole strap off when sticking it in the housing though as I have a pair of cameras I take on dive boats.
I have just ordered a custom set up from Simon Rodgers Aka Bowstone in the UK, He will do your exact Strap set up to your design, I dive on indie twins so it's must for me. Simon is one of the most helpful guys in the business.
Good luck!
look at Optech (or Op/Tech) they do great neoprene straps with quick disconnects. in my last housing i was able to leave the camera side of the quick disconnect on the camera in the housing, but with my new housing its too tight. they also do straps with mini carabiner-like clips that would be very easy to take on and off. B&H has a full range of their straps.
Yes. I have done that with Ikelite housings.
look at Optech (or Op/Tech) they do great neoprene straps with quick disconnects. in my last housing i was able to leave the camera side of the quick disconnect on the camera in the housing, but with my new housing its too tight. they also do straps with mini carabiner-like clips that would be very easy to take on and off. B&H has a full range of their straps.
What was the make of your old housing? I'm leaning toward the Ikelite housing for my D90. Thanks!
I use stainless steel split rings and swivels with clasp to attach my standard Canon strap to my camera...cheap and easy. Pick up at any place that sells fishing tackle.
Mike
How about a piece of 1/4" nylon line made into a wrist lanyard attached to a handle? I find it easier to use than something attached to BC or other places. (I misunderstood your post - this is obviously for housing, not topside camera.)
Don't forget about anything/anywhere insurance that covers your camera system.
(Even stolen by shark, which is possible in the Bahamas.)
We completely remove the straps from our Nikon D200 before placing them into Subal housings. Less stuff to become engaged in gearing, controls and 'O' rings.
I bought a Lowpro strap with quick releases for this very reason. Unfortunately, the pieces connect to the camera were a little too large for me to try to shove into my Ikelite housing. Unhooking the original strap becomes second nature though, so it's not that big of a concern. Just be sure to keep the plastic buckle on strap when you remove it from the camera.
I use stainless steel split rings and swivels with clasp to attach my standard Canon strap to my camera...cheap and easy. Pick up at any place that sells fishing tackle.