Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Camera Strap Rage.

Started by JimSwims ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera Strap Rage.

18 posts
  1. Hi Folks,

     

    I've been looking for a while now for a solution to the tiresome task of removing and then replacing the

    camera strap in between dives. All of the commercial options I've seen so far involve a quick release clip which

    leave parts still attached to camera that won't fit in my housing. I've been wondering what ingenious solutions

    have been thought of from within the Wetpixel collective mind. I was thinking just a basic bullet proof clip at the

    end of the loop would be perfect, then it's just a matter of finding the right size to fit the attachment point on the

    camera.

    Any thoughts or tried and trusted solutions???

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  2. Hi Jim,

    Not really what your looking for but I just use my older body to take the land shots so I don't have to take the body out of the housing. If I was rich I'd just use the spare body. I've found on liveaboards or even at resorts I want the housed camera always ready to go. You never know what might pop up.

     

    Steve

  3. I use SS split rings and swivels with clasp attached to my Canon strap...just a few clams at your local fishing tackle shop.

     

    Mike

  4. I have been using THIS strap for years.

     

    It is exactly what you were thinking of. It has two small non-removable clips (from the strap that is) that clip onto the triangular camera clips that come with the Nikon cameras. The strap is slip resistant and can be removed from the camera in seconds. It re-installs to the camera that quickly too. It's inexpensive also, as camera accessories go. It's 42" or 107 cm long and comes in different colours.

     

    The website mentioned above is Canadian, but I'm sure you will be able to find a provider in Australia as Domke is an International Brand.

     

    Hope that helps.

    Edited by Poliwog
  5. I've thought of this for a while but thought any clip that can attach quickly could also detach quickly endangering your camera. I just stick to "practise makes perfect" when using my strap, it doesn't take that long to take off and on when you do it that much, In the past I have also used a small compact camera wrist strap that only needs threading thru & looping around one side.

  6. I recently posted this very question, and got the following response from user sealifeprints....

     

    "I use stainless steel split rings and swivels with clasp to attach my standard Canon strap to my camera...cheap and easy. Pick up at any place that sells fishing tackle."

     

    Makes sense to me! The rings shouldn't take up any room in the housing, and would be strong enough and quick enough to connect/disconnect to the swivel snaps.

     

    Good luck!

  7. I'm curious!? split rings like the ones on your key ring? these are awkward? Can anyone show a piccie :D?

  8. post-18137-1260737403.jpg

     

    Not pretty but you can get the idea. Attach/detach the snaps to the camera strap slots.

     

    Mike

  9. Thanks Mike, how much have you been using this design for?

  10. Thanks for all the replies Folks. I'll see if I can track something down over here to do the job.

     

    Zig I completely missed you thread when I posted this one, great minds think alike.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  11. Well Folks,

     

    In the end I've just opted for the simple yet elegant solution of a 25mm split ring at each end of the strap which is easy

    and quick enough to remove.

     

    One of the other concerns I had, was that with the regular (at least weekly) removal and reattachment of the straps the

    ends would eventually begin to fray. This will eliminate that and my frustration :lol:

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  12. Well I went for a visit to my local anglers and was given these :lol:

    24cfhp0.jpg

    Theyre a bit of a fiddle, but definately secure

    Thanks Mike

  13. Brilliant!

    Massive improvement on the above.

    I was looking at my lanyard that holds my works pass today :lol: Now it doesnt exist anymore:rolleyes: I managed to blag another one too and here we have 2 clips that I can fasten my strap onto and then clip onto the camera in a second and be happy they will not ever come off!

    22iydc.jpg

  14. Brilliant!

    Massive improvement on the above.

    I was looking at my lanyard that holds my works pass today :) Now it doesnt exist anymore:rolleyes: I managed to blag another one too and here we have 2 clips that I can fasten my strap onto and then clip onto the camera in a second and be happy they will not ever come off!

    22iydc.jpg

    Don't use these clips. While in the airport with my camera round my neck, the clips have a miraculous tendancy to detach. I don't know how they do it, but they do.

    Paul

  15. Hey Scuby,

     

    so far I'm finding that the simple solution of just Split Rings is bullet proof. Simple to attach and remove but no chance for an accidental detachment.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  16. Hey Scuby,

     

    so far I'm finding that the simple solution of just Split Rings is bullet proof. Simple to attach and remove but no chance for an accidental detachment.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

     

     

    try the screw carabiner clips. secure when using your camera on land and easy to remove.

  17. try the screw carabiner clips. secure when using your camera on land and easy to remove.

     

    Good idea Kathy, I'll look around and see if I can get the right size here.

     

    Jim.

  18. I just bought at cheap keychain that had 2.5cm split rings. They fit perfectly into the slots on my D90, are easy to remove, and are super secure. I looked for the screw-type carabiner clips, but couldn't find any that were small enough to fit in the camera's strap slots.

     

    Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.