Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Housing and lens choice for Canon 7D

Started by ajgag ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Housing and lens choice for Canon 7D

4 posts
  1. Need info.

     

    I am an amateur photographer and new diver. I have a Canon 7D (and a 5D Mk I) and am looking to get a housing for the 7D. Have been looking at the Ikelite, but none of my current lenses are compatible with any of the lens ports.

     

    I see that there is a port for the 17-85 EF-S lens, but it appears that the 17-85 is being phased out in favor of the 15-85 EF-S lens. Anybody know if there is a compatible lens port, or whether Ikelite is even the way to go.

  2. Need info.

     

    I am an amateur photographer and new diver. I have a Canon 7D (and a 5D Mk I) and am looking to get a housing for the 7D. Have been looking at the Ikelite, but none of my current lenses are compatible with any of the lens ports.

     

    I see that there is a port for the 17-85 EF-S lens, but it appears that the 17-85 is being phased out in favor of the 15-85 EF-S lens. Anybody know if there is a compatible lens port, or whether Ikelite is even the way to go.

    although i'm sure ikelite may seem attractive due to cost I would highly recommend taking a look at the Aquatica,Nauticam and Sea and Sea in that order I have an Aquatica for my 5DMarkII and couldn't be happier, the gang at Backscatter put together adapters for both Inon finders and it is quite the package Happy Shooting!DeeDee

  3. although i'm sure ikelite may seem attractive due to cost I would highly recommend taking a look at the Aquatica,Nauticam and Sea and Sea in that order I have an Aquatica for my 5DMarkII and couldn't be happier, the gang at Backscatter put together adapters for both Inon finders and it is quite the package Happy Shooting!DeeDee

     

     

    You are right in that the price of a Aquatica did scare me, but in the long run it might be worth it to bite the bullet early.

     

    Is there any particular lens you would like to recommend? Though I will be using the 7D for diving, I'm not opposed to getting an EF lens since I'll be able to use it with my 5D. My only other lenses (I only have two) are the Canon 24-105 EF and Canon 100-400 EF. I don't have a fixed lens. Also should I consider soemthing faster (at least 2.8 maybe)? Most of land pictures tend to be nature related (wildlife mostly) or general scenery (typical tourist-type stuff).

  4. You are right in that the price of a Aquatica did scare me, but in the long run it might be worth it to bite the bullet early.

     

    Is there any particular lens you would like to recommend? Though I will be using the 7D for diving, I'm not opposed to getting an EF lens since I'll be able to use it with my 5D. My only other lenses (I only have two) are the Canon 24-105 EF and Canon 100-400 EF. I don't have a fixed lens. Also should I consider soemthing faster (at least 2.8 maybe)? Most of land pictures tend to be nature related (wildlife mostly) or general scenery (typical tourist-type stuff).

    For macro, either the 60 or the new 100. Both have been discussed here forever.

    For wide angle, even though it won't work directly on the 5D, the Tokina 10-17 is really marvelous.

    Bill

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.