How do I fit a inon Optical cable to Olympus PTE-** housings
Started by globalmark ·
10Posts
10Replies
Read-only discussion
How do I fit a inon Optical cable to Olympus PTE-** housings
10 posts
Hi
I have just received my PTE-06 Housing and was putting it together , However I have a Inon s-2000 strobe and bought a New Inon Cable with it to go to the Housing , well one end screws onto the Inon strobe _ Ok however the other end has no fitting on it ,
does anyone know if I have to buy a Rubber Bush /cable end that fits in my Olympus Housing - of should it have come with the Cable ?? or am I supposed to drill a hole in the Rubber Plug that is in the optical cable socket of my housing when arrived ??
Any help would be great as none of the Instructions / Housing/Strobe/cable seems to cover this bit .
Thanks mark
It should have a hole in it.
Jack
It should have a hole in it.
Jack
Mine came without holes in them and I just poked a hole through with a kebab stick. It holds the cable well.
Jack - can you buy the rubber 'gromets' as spares I am sure I will lose mine somewhere in the future and will struggle to find a replacement?
Globalmark - if Jack can supply them, I suggest you get a couple as well. I spent 30mins in Lembeh looking for one of mine that I misplaced.
You can also buy and use the sea&sea style of optical connectors.
HI ALL
Thanks for replies, I got two with the housing But i presume they were just Blanking plugs (fill the hole when not in use) as they do not have any hole in them , Yes it looks like I could poke a hole through with a Kebab stick also but that does not seem how it should be ??
Did anyone Buy a Inon strobe Optical Cable ?? did it come with the Rubber plug ??
I would just like to know what is the correct way .
Thanks all
Mark
Yeah, I have S&S plugs coming. But the Kebab stick will work fine. ;-)
Globalmark, it's not rocket science, all those do is hold the cable so that the light from the camera flashes into the cable. No real connection is made, like an electrical wire.
Jack
Globalmark,
I think the intention from Olympus was to poke holes as Jack suggested above. Easy unless you lose a plug and I would think that those are hard to order. Sea&Sea plugs fit/work great and I can carry spares if needed. Termination of those requires a little aptitude but most can handle it.
I also have the pte-06 housing, and I also just made a hole in the plugs.
However, I managed to loose one of them anyway so I found this:
And that works too. I am using Inon D2000 and Inon Z240.
Michael
I just put some heat shrink on mine - sometimes two or three layers till it makes a snug fit into the F/O port of the housing.
Hi all
Thanks for the Info everyone , I have continued with my Googling and found that INON make the correct part for a few dollars only and available for olympus from Reef Photo in the US and UWdigitalcamera.com in Japan (YUZO can get for every camera Make) , I am in Australia and 2 plugs for INON to Olympus and postage cost less than $8 , so rather than Poking holes etc I will just order a couple of the Correct ones.