Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

maximum wideangel ens for Seacams Wideport

Started by meerseen ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

maximum wideangel ens for Seacams Wideport

14 posts
  1. Hai!

     

    What is your recommendation for the maximum wideangel using a Seacam Wideport ?

    I have a Canon 5D MKII in the Seacam housing.

     

    The 20mm lens or even more?

     

    I would like to have the maximum quality without using the superdome.

     

    Schorsch

  2. I think 24mm is the widest I would go. I too have that port and love it. Actually now that I think of it, I used mine w/ a 15mm FE + 1.4 teleconverter w/ good results.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. HI,

     

    I use the wideport with a 35mm extender with my 12x24mm nikon with a 4x dieopter with great results

    with sharp corners. I also use the 10x17 Tonkina FE with the wideport only with great results.

     

    Andy :D

    Edited by AndyBarker
  4. I use the WP with the 14mm lens on DX format; equivalent of 21mm on FF. Image quality is more than acceptable at f/8. Only foreground corners show softness. The SD is somewhat better but is too large for shallow water. Maybe Ryan Cannon will come out with the Zen port (8 inches/20 cm) in a Seacam mount. This would provide an intermediate option.

  5. I think 24mm is the widest I would go. I too have that port and love it. Actually now that I think of it, I used mine w/ a 15mm FE + 1.4 teleconverter w/ good results.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Hai!

    I remember your thread a few month (or years) ago here in wetpixel.

    But has the 15mm FE not more wideangel than a 24mm lens?

     

    What about the 17-40mm with the WP?

    Not good enough or good enough at f 11 or what ever?

     

    Thanks for your comments.

    Schorsch

  6. Ha! I would forget about the 17-40L w/ the wideport - it's not even that great behind the superdome...

     

    I was using the FE+teleconverter which has about the same angle of view as a Nikonos 15mm if that means anything. It's like a 21mm rectilinear lens....sort of.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. Ha! I would forget about the 17-40L w/ the wideport - it's not even that great behind the superdome...

     

    I was using the FE+teleconverter which has about the same angle of view as a Nikonos 15mm if that means anything. It's like a 21mm rectilinear lens....sort of.

     

    Cheers

    James

    James - I seem to remember using 15mm with a wide port & no port extension on 5d2 this summer and finding no vignetting. Decent quality too. I was polecamming with white sharks and did not want weight of superdome.

     

    When I used 16-35II, as per shot below, I had to use superdome though. Even in open water, the corners would be too grim using 16-35II and wide port without a diopter.

     

    post-630-1261064976.jpg

    Edited by StephenFrink
  8. That's great news Steve. I have the small 4" wideport - not the bigger one. But I'll give the small one a try w/ 15mm and no TC sometime to see how it does.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. That's great news Steve. I have the small 4" wideport - not the bigger one. But I'll give the small one a try w/ 15mm and no TC sometime to see how it does.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    James - I have my doubts that the smaller dome port will work. It will probably vignette, but I'd love to hear your experience as I don't have one of those ports to try it myself. The wide port, as per below, is the one I tried.

     

    The focal lengths mentioned refer to full-frame cameras. Also, in my experience the fisheye port is terrific for Nikon fisheye lenses but not as good for Canon 15mm. Must be a difference in nodal point. For my Canon 15mm I like superdome and wide port.

     

     

     

    post-630-1261065492.png

  10. damn Steve... great shot of that shark

  11. Steve,

     

    The smaller wideport was fantastic for swimming w/ dolphins when using the 15mm Sigma + 1.4x Teleplus TC. Small, and sharp.

     

    605504258_ueCKL-XL.jpg

     

    Cheers

    James

    Edited by james
  12. Nice shots guys! FWIW I have used the WP with the Nikon 10.5 and got just a tiny bit of vignetting at certain focused distances. This was before I got the FE port. Since the WP, SD, FE are all domeports, I find the Seacam nomenclature for the 4" ports somewhat vague. I prefer to think of them as mini-domes. I have one of these, not sure which one, and used it with OK with the 14mm on DX. Good for where it is too shallow even for the WP.

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  13. Hey!

     

    In indeed, excellent pictures. Great!

     

    On more question. Is somebody using the "old" Canon 20-35mm 2,8 L with the WP?

     

    It was a very good lens, before the 17-35 2,8 and even the two 16-35mm came out.

    Has somebody experience?

     

    Thanks

    Schorsch :lol:

  14. Hey!

     

    In indeed, excellent pictures. Great!

     

    On more question. Is somebody using the "old" Canon 20-35mm 2,8 L with the WP?

     

    It was a very good lens, before the 17-35 2,8 and even the two 16-35mm came out.

    Has somebody experience?

     

    Thanks

    Schorsch :)

     

    The minimum focus distance is 0.5m which means you will need to use a diopter lens. See:

    http://photo.net/equipment/sigma/sigma20-vs-canon2035

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.