Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Is a correct choice?

Started by chelydra ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Is a correct choice?

4 posts
  1. I have a Mdx300 Sea&Sea housing with nikon d300. I Have used it for two years in many dives (500) and now I m looking around for something better.

    Some friends of mine has me donated a Canon 5dmarkII for birthday.

    I have many lens Nikon and Canon. I use Canon (Mark III) for nature photography out of water (I like to do trap photography in night ...own... and birds in flight)

    Now I am interested to know your opinion about this canon camera underwater. I haven't found any review. The only review that I seen was about the video capabilities of this camera but I am not very interested to video.

    In particularly I am interested about AF capabilities...in some tests I have seen that the Af of Nikon D300 is in some cases better than that of Canon 5d mark II (darker scene with low contrast). In other words often where Af Canon fail the D300's Af work fine. I had these tests in same condition with tripod.

    Is there someone who use this camera underwater who tell me how it works? How Af perform underwater. The Sea&Sea housing for this camera is very expensive (as Mdx 300) and I ll want to do the right choice.

     

    Thanks for replies

     

    Francesco

     

    P.s. i prefer to do macro photography and I ll use te Canon macro 100 mm 2.8.

  2. Hi Francesco

     

    I don't use either of the cameras that you mention, but i would say the D300 and 5DII or probably about the same. Not a significant enough upgrade to justify spending the money on a new housing system if you ask me.

     

    But, thats just my opinion.

  3. I would say that the D300 is as good as it gets for macro photography. The smaller sensor makes the AF-105-VR almost ideal for clear water macro shots and the 60MM virtually perfect for times when a closer working distance is needed. Additionally the addition of a +10 Subsee will give 2.25:1 magnification at a close working distance.

     

    The full frame cameras are better only for low light situations. The 5D is a great camera but won't buy you much of anything for macro. Wide angle.....now that's another matter.

     

    Regards,

     

    Tom

  4. thanks to all for reply but I want knon from someone who use the 5d mark II if underwater there's problem with autofocus in low light situation or if it is ok as other camera as Nikon 200 or D300 or canon 40 d.

     

     

    Thanks again

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.