Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

new sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG for canon EOS

Started by herbko ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

new sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG for canon EOS

10 posts
  1. Interesting Herb! If Sigma decides to get into the "digital" lens market, we might have a whole new ballgame. This has been a big market niche for a while and I'm surprised they haven't jumped in sooner. I couldn't gleam too much info from the Italian page though, so please post anything else you find out.

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. I told you that Sigma talked about introducing this lens and others similar 9 months ago :D

     

    Just been and tried the 8mm - Yuk, won't be getting one... but it does great portraits :D

  3. Interesting Herb! If Sigma decides to get into the "digital" lens market, we might have a whole new ballgame. This has been a big market niche for a while and I'm surprised they haven't jumped in sooner. I couldn't gleam too much info from the Italian page though, so please post anything else you find out.

     

    Cheers

    James

    Some posted an email from sigma on that dpreview forum thread saying the lens will go on sale in November.

  4. I sent an inquiry to Sigma yesterday and recieved a reply today. Here is a copy of the e-mail.

     

     

    Dear Sir,

     

    Thank you for your email and inquiry.

     

    This lens will be available from November.

    The price information is not available yet.

     

    Sincerely,

     

    Sigma Corporation of America

    15 Fleetwood court Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

    Tel: 631 585-1144

    Fax: 631 585-1895

     

    www.sigma-photo.com

     

    ----- Original Message -----

    From: Stephen Nichols

    To: info@sigmaphoto.com

    Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2003 6:28 PM

    Subject: 12-24 lens

     

     

    Hello,

     

    There is a rumor that you will soon be releasing a 12-24 4.5-5.6 EX DG lens. If this is true, do you have an anticipated release date and cost?

     

    Thank you for any information

     

    Sincerely

     

    Stephen T. Nichols

     

    http://underseagallery.com

     

    Looks to be very interesting .

     

    Steve

  5. Mhhh,... I saw price rumors for around 1.000 EUR

     

    Well in that case, I'll continue to save up money for the

    Canon 16-35L lense. Even if it is not that wide, the constant

    F-Stop and the high light sensivity are just too temptimg.

     

    All in all I have to admit that I am pretty annoyed by non-constant

    f-stop lenses. You are just able to work more quick if the zoom

    does not influence your manual setting. Especially on the surface

    I fell in love with this feature.

     

    If you can afford it, I would always go for it. But that is a very

    personal opinion.

  6. Mhhh,... I saw price rumors for around 1.000 EUR

    I've seen sites listing it between 700 - 800 EUR. Follow the dpreview forum links.

  7. Andi, if you're thinking about the 16-35L, you should really consider the 17-40L instead. Check out a comparison at Luminous Landscape.. The most critical part of the review is:

     

    The new 17-40mm f/4L is a welcome surprise though. At nearly half the price of the faster and slightly wider 16-35mm f/2.8L it provides excellent image quality, surpassing that of the more expensive lens in several areas.

     

    I own the 17-40, and it's outstanding. It's only a single stop slower than the 16-35L and still has a constant F/ throughout the zoom range. Still haven't gotten it UW, but that's another topic entirely. If the Sigma 12-24 is reasonably priced as suggested at DPReview, I'll probably also pick one of those up. And even then, I'll still be at about the cost of a single 16-35L!

     

    Just some food for thought...

  8. I own the 16-35L and have shot it a lot topside and some underwater (in film)....all I can say ..." WOW". It's sharp throughout the zoom range and from f2.8-22. Most of the complaints about this lens are from people who shoot the lens at 16mm, F2.8 and expect a landscape shot to be in focus from 1 foot to infinity.

     

    It has minimal barrel distortion (for the focal length), superb colour rendition and wonderful sharpness...

     

    My 2 cents....

  9. No doubt the 16-35 is a fantastic lens. If the 17-40L weren't available or if cost wasn't factored in, I would have eventually gotten it. What I was getting at is that although the 17-40 is 1/2 the cost, it's not 1/2 the lens.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.