Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Macro Focus Light?

Started by bkkchriss4 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro Focus Light?

7 posts
  1. When using a focus light for Macro (non-night diving) doesn't the light of the focus light affect color of the final shot? So often with night diving shots I notice that the color of light seems washed out.

     

    I know a nice wide beam and an adjustable output helps, but what do most of you find??? I have a FIX LED500 but have not had a chance to play around with it yet as I am waiting for my first DSLR housing to show up - upgrading from a G10 setup.

     

    Thanks!

  2. In my experience with two different focus lights:

     

    1) The light of the focus light is soft enough, and diffused enough, that the strobe completely overpowers it, leaving no trace in the final shot, or

     

    2) Some use an auto-shutoff and turn off for a beat the second a flash is detected, so, again, there's no light in the final shot.

  3. When using a focus light for Macro (non-night diving) doesn't the light of the focus light affect color of the final shot? So often with night diving shots I notice that the color of light seems washed out.

     

    I know a nice wide beam and an adjustable output helps, but what do most of you find??? I have a FIX LED500 but have not had a chance to play around with it yet as I am waiting for my first DSLR housing to show up - upgrading from a G10 setup.

     

    Thanks!

    I used this light in Indonesia for about 6 weeks of diving, along with a pair of Z240 strobes, and experienced no ill effects.

    Nice light, with variable output, but expensive, and I prefer the Intova SuperNova, Also, ithe LED500 auto dims at times to conserve battery or allow cool-down [don't know which], and this is quite annoying.

  4. FWIW. I suspect the LED500 is over-kill for a focus lamp but being dimmable this should address that issue / problem (?). We use the LED48s and their output is more than adequate and with the diffuser fitted their illumination is undetectable in the image.

     

    Tim

  5. if you have a very bright focus light it may add extra light that that the camera cannot control if you are using TTL flash, you may be better off with a less powerful light. Otherwise there are lights that turn off when they detect the strobes pre-flash. You may ind some useful information in the aiming lights thread here. I just started using a Bossk light with auto-off and have been happy with it.

  6. I use the focus light more of an indicator of when I am at maximum magnification (minimum focus distance) than an extra illuminator. I tend to turn it on only when I need it and and keep it at the minimum illumination to notice it.

     

    Shooting a D-300 I have rarely found that the camera has a need for more light to focus. Depending on the lens I set the focus light to illuminate a stationary subject at minimum focus length and leave it there. Then, when taking a shot where I want maximum magnification, I turn on the light and slowly move closer until the light illuminates the subject. Sometimes this doesn't work because the light spooks the subject but often it is very effective.

     

    Regards,

  7. I have one that has an auto shut off so it doesn't affect the overall image; however, having said that it is only a 7 LED light and I don't think that it would have much affect anyway. Mine is from 10Bar but is the same as the one sold by Fantasea and others.

     

    Karl

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.