Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

WA Solution for Canon 5d + Ikelite + 8" dome

Started by Taxgeek ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

WA Solution for Canon 5d + Ikelite + 8" dome

7 posts
  1. Am having trouble locating a solution that works. I swear somebody told me which port body to use with the Canon 15 FE and 1.4x (I have tamron) some time ago, but I lost it.

     

    I don't really want to shoot at the 10mm end - more like at 35ish, but nobody ever recommends a 35! And I don't really need to zoom. I care the most about maximizing corner sharpness.

     

    From previous research, the Canon 15FE plus 1.4x in the 8" dome seemed to be the answer.

     

    Can anybody recommend the right port body for this combo? I'd just measure it and use the Ike chart, but that's not always very reliable, and I don't have much time to test it out.

     

    Or since everybody loves the Tokina 10-17, what combo for it?

     

    Thanks!

    Taxgeek

  2. Or since everybody loves the Tokina 10-17, what combo for it?

     

    The tokina is a croped sensor lense, even if it could be adapted.

    Think about 24 mm maybe? with the 1.3 water effect, it comes to 32. But hope you're rich :]

  3. I've used the Tokina 10-17 with a 5D in Ikelite with a 1.4 converter (kenko). I'm not 100% sure which dome stalk it is, but I originally bought it for the 17-40, so I assume it's the 5510.24. Having said that I did get some very odd internal reflections with this combo when shooting into the sun. I've also tried the Sigma 15mm fisheye with the 1.4x converter with the same dome extension and it works fine. V. sharp corners. I think the same would apply for the Canon fisheye.

    If you want to shoot closer to 35mm you might want to try the 17-40, although you need a dioptre to maximize corner sharpness and even then its not up to fisheye standards. As Autopsea said, maybe a prime would be best for maximum sharpness.

  4. I've used the Tokina 10-17 with a 5D in Ikelite with a 1.4 converter (kenko). I'm not 100% sure which dome stalk it is, but I originally bought it for the 17-40, so I assume it's the 5510.24. Having said that I did get some very odd internal reflections with this combo when shooting into the sun. I've also tried the Sigma 15mm fisheye with the 1.4x converter with the same dome extension and it works fine. V. sharp corners. I think the same would apply for the Canon fisheye.

    If you want to shoot closer to 35mm you might want to try the 17-40, although you need a dioptre to maximize corner sharpness and even then its not up to fisheye standards. As Autopsea said, maybe a prime would be best for maximum sharpness.

     

     

    Yes, I'm thinking one of those fisheyes with tele would be best currently. Maybe I should just order it already and quit agonizing.

  5. Ok, followup question for y'all:

     

    According to pure measurements and the ike chart, I should use the 5510.16 port body from ike (for the Sigma 15+1.4x).

     

    Is there any problem with focusing on the virtual image in the dome with this that would tell me to get a longer port body? Seems like that would just provide addl vignetting . . .

     

    Thanks in advance!

  6. Ok, followup question for y'all:

     

    According to pure measurements and the ike chart, I should use the 5510.16 port body from ike (for the Sigma 15+1.4x).

     

    Is there any problem with focusing on the virtual image in the dome with this that would tell me to get a longer port body? Seems like that would just provide addl vignetting . . .

     

    Thanks in advance!

     

    I use the 5510.16 with the EF Fisheye and 1,4 extender with no problems. Given that the Sigma focuses closer, the set up should work fine with the Sigma (even better probably for CFWA).

     

    Regards

     

    Bent

  7. Thanks Bent! Appreciate the info. Ordering that stuff now!

    Taxgeek

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.