Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Topside converter lenses

Started by allen ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Topside converter lenses

1 posts
  1. Many of the Digicams have optional converter lenses. I have started looking at some for both topside and underwater usage. One thing that concerns me is the lack of threads on the front of some. Top side I like having a filter on the front for protection of the lenses. On my SLR they saved more than one lenses from my abuse.

     

    I have been shooting my Leica down the desert and really like the f2.0 and 24mm but want more. Same when I am under water. Panasonic makes a converter lens that gets it down to 18mm. And there is a small dome for my housing for using it underwater. But no front threads on the lens. So I started looking at those made my Raynox which have front threads. But I am not sure how compatible they would be. For instance, the pana is a .75x while the one Raynox is .66 - not any big deal except for underwater as the done port might not work as well as one would like.

     

    Next I wonder about compatibility given the Leica has a 24mm at its widest while most others are 28mm or more. Will I need to zoom out to prevent vignetting?

     

    What about adapter tubes? For instance, the mount for the Leica is 46mm but the Raynoz is 52. I know I can use a step up ring. But what does that do?

     

    So school me on these lenses. THANKS.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.