Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sigma 10-20 Lens

Started by diverdad ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 10-20 Lens

6 posts
  1. Hi, this is one of my 1st posts so please be gentle!!

    The missus and I recently bought a used Nikon D50 with lens, Ikelite housing strobes etc.

    If we put our Sigma 10-20 lens on do we need a correcting filter?

    I am sure I have read some where that we don't need to?

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Lee

  2. I was told that I did not need one, (with an Aquatica housing), but I have had serious issues with corner softness with my Sigma 10-20, so much so that I didn't even take it on my last trip. It has been suggested that I now try a longer extension and +2 dioptre. So, you won't know until you actually try it. I need to try it in a pool.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. I was told that I did not need one, (with an Aquatica housing), but I have had serious issues with corner softness with my Sigma 10-20, so much so that I didn't even take it on my last trip. It has been suggested that I now try a longer extension and +2 dioptre. So, you won't know until you actually try it. I need to try it in a pool.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

    Disclaimer: I don't use this lens.

    The close focus of this rectilinear lens (HSM or non HSM) is 9.4 in. or 24 cm. Unless you have a very large diameter dome port, I think you will have some edge issues without a diopter.

    Just MHO.

    Bob

  4. Disclaimer: I don't use this lens.

    The close focus of this rectilinear lens (HSM or non HSM) is 9.4 in. or 24 cm. Unless you have a very large diameter dome port, I think you will have some edge issues without a diopter.

    Just MHO.

    Bob

     

    I am using it in the Sea & Sea MDX-300 with the fisheye dome and a 20mm extension and a dipotre (+2) and for me the sharpness/focus is not that great (of course, it's definitely possible that it's my issue and not that of the camera :lol:

     

    I am trying the larger 40mm extension ring to see if that makes he focus any easier ....

  5. Hi, this is one of my 1st posts so please be gentle!!

    The missus and I recently bought a used Nikon D50 with lens, Ikelite housing strobes etc.

    If we put our Sigma 10-20 lens on do we need a correcting filter?

    I am sure I have read some where that we don't need to?

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Lee

     

    If Ikelite can't give you an answer, you need to get into a pool or ask someone using the same set-up (you didn't mention what port you have) as it will perform a little differently depending on camera/housing and port-combo. But generally the Sigma 10-20, in my experience, is one of the 'best behaving' ultrawide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) rectilinear zooms behind domeports. It has a pretty good CFD of 24 cm as mentioned earlier and it has some barrel distortion, which i suspect helps a little when you put it behind a dome port. I've used one behind a Hugyfot Fisheye dome port without extention and dioptre with, to me, acceptable results.

     

    good luck

  6. I am using it on my EOS 500D on RDX housing with compact dome 7' diameter without diopter, so far result is quite acceptable. If I can choose again I will go for Tokina 10-17FE, hell more fun lens to use.

    Edited by thedidavid
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.