Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Help Me with transistion to digital...

Started by JackConnick ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Help Me with transistion to digital...

4 posts
  1. I've just returned from a trip to Baja, shooting with my venerable S&S MMII. Some shots are ok, (have a preliminary set up on my photo site below) but I am disappointed overall with the optics, and the many shots I missed shooting fish without a zoom or being able to check focus. I'll be leading a couple more trips there next year, as well as all the usual cold water diving I do here in the PNW and Canada.

     

    Plus it's a hassle to have 24 rolls of film individually inspected each time thru security. (yep, 2x they checked every last one...).

     

    So I'm ready to sell my current stuff and move into a digital rig. $$ are tight, I'm hoping to make a lateral move $$ wise.

     

    I have a complete S&S kit; IIEXPro body, 16mm, 2x, 3x, Highpoint viewfinder, tray, 2 MarkVI arms and a YS 50 and YS 120 strobe, dual strobe cord connector, & various do-dads.

     

    I thinking about the newly announced C5060 or possible the Rebel 300 if there's an inexpensive case. I'd like to get into the best optics I can. I know these may be a few months coming, but don't have any trips planned until spring.

     

    Travel weight/size is a consideration. Should I sell all, but the tray, arms and YS120 (which I really like, btw)? I can't afford the $250/ea arm sets... Or just off it all and start over and go to a small strobe and the latest technology?

     

    On selling the gear, should I package or sell separately on EBay? Seems like the sets don't do that well.... thoughts? I may know of a guy in my club that might want a few bits...

     

    Anyway, would appreciate all opinions and tips!

     

    Jack

  2. Sets don't do well together, so I'd split up your stuff.

     

    You may want to keep your strobes and cord. If you get a Sea and Sea housing, you can use them in manual mode (well at least the 120). I guess it depends on which housing you decide to get. If you go w/ a DSLR, you will be able to fire your strobes at full power and get great macro shots at f22 or f27 even.

     

    Of course, if you get an S2pro, you can use your strobes in TTL.

     

    If you get a 5060 and housing, you will be out of luck and should probably try to sell your strobes too.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Tough not to recommend the digital rebel here. At its price point, it would be tough to argue in favor of coolpixes or X0X0s, and if Ike sticks to his promise of a sub - $1200 housing, you're in business (though your strobes may not be).

     

    The trick to saving $ with digital is to buy a system you will be happy with for several years. As an accomplished photographer, I think you'll push a 5050 to the wall very quickly and long for interchangeable lenses. With the Ike/Rebel you'll be able to do that for a minimally higher price.

  4. Well, I've already moved quite a bit of my MMII stuff, seems bits and pieces are starting to be in short supply, I think S&S is transitioning to the MMIII.

     

    I agree with the thoughts on the Rebel, as long as there's a range of glass and ports for it. I have been shooting for many years now (my first camera was an Exacta!) and quickly push cameras to their limits, I need something to grow into.

     

    I've pretty much decided to sell everything I can, but wait to buy until after XMas and see if I can catch some spring sales, the Rebel should be in good supply and competition should start driving the costs down, also more lenses and so forth should be available.

     

    Are there zoom macro's available? How well does the standard lens work for macro, maybe with diopters? What I really missed in my trip to Baja was being able to stand off a bit and shoot small skittish fish.

     

    I'm selling the YS120 regretfully as long as I get around $500 for it; an excellent strobe. Probably will take the same approach to a quality system and buy a Ike DS125, even if i have to buy one at a time.

     

    One questions remains; I have two nearly new Sea Arm VI sets and a tray for that matter, is there anyway to use them with an Ike housing?

     

    Thanks for your help,

    Jack

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.