Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nice camera with mount for Inon lens?

Started by sirenita ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nice camera with mount for Inon lens?

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    My IXUS 75 is on its last legs and I'm looking to replace it. I was hoping to get a G11, but I've already got an INON fiheye which fits my old housing and I really like using it. Does anyone know of a good camera that will take that lens? Whilst I quite liked the IXUS, I didn't think ti performed well AT ALL in low light/bad viz , which is why I was hoping to get a G series as they seem to cope better, and have more manual controls too.. Any thoughts anyone?

    Thanks in advance! and Happy Xmas diving :lol:

  2. Hi,

     

    My IXUS 75 is on its last legs and I'm looking to replace it. I was hoping to get a G11, but I've already got an INON fiheye which fits my old housing and I really like using it. Does anyone know of a good camera that will take that lens? Whilst I quite liked the IXUS, I didn't think ti performed well AT ALL in low light/bad viz , which is why I was hoping to get a G series as they seem to cope better, and have more manual controls too.. Any thoughts anyone?

    Thanks in advance! and Happy Xmas diving :lol:

     

    I really like my IXUS100is. Very compact and works well with the UFL-165AD.

     

    It also does HD video, which can be pretty impressive considering the size and cost of the camera.

     

    It doesn't have many manual controls, but that is quite common for a camera of its size.

     

    You might want to look at the Canon S90 for more manual control, but if you have the UFL-165AD lens then it will probably vignette badly.

    Edited by lewneytewn
  3. Hi,

     

    My IXUS 75 is on its last legs and I'm looking to replace it. I was hoping to get a G11, but I've already got an INON fiheye which fits my old housing and I really like using it. Does anyone know of a good camera that will take that lens? Whilst I quite liked the IXUS, I didn't think ti performed well AT ALL in low light/bad viz , which is why I was hoping to get a G series as they seem to cope better, and have more manual controls too.. Any thoughts anyone?

    Thanks in advance! and Happy Xmas diving :)

     

    Hello!

     

    Glad to hear you're getting some mileage out of your inon lenses - I bought 2 and I have been getting some macro success with them in the Philippines! I have the 330 & 165 and can stack if the subject is teeny tiny.

     

    Anyhow - what size mount is your lense? I'm presuming you have the inon wetmount one, not threaded (UCL-165/330AD)? I bought the 67mm threaded inon macro lenses (http://www.marinecamera.com/inon.html - UCL-165/330) & can use them interchangeably with my G9 & gf's G11. Great product. You can also get a variety of mounts based on your product, just gotta look. I bought my housing mount kit from Yuzo Kanda at http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/store/home.php for the Canon G9 OEM housing, and Fisheye has a housing kit for 67mm lenses too...

     

    Happy snapping!

    ~ Frank

  4. While the G11 may have better image quality at higher ISO, its autofocus lag is still deplorable and gets worse when turning on the flash.

     

    All through the 90s I shoot film SLRs and shot ISO50. So I don't see the problem with shooting low ISO to get good image quality.

     

    I'd say to go with a sony, such as the w170 or w300, or the sweet new wx1. They all focus faster than any canon. The wx1 does hd video and has a sweet zoom range of 24-120mm, perfect for underwater, (though it may not be compatible with your specific inon).

     

    If you inon lens is only compatible with a 35mm wide angle, it greatly limits your choices today, when all the cams start at 28 or 24mm equivalents. Including the G11! You may be better off selling the inon lens, and opening up your options.

     

    Happy Holidays.

    Don

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.