Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon Housing (WPDC 13) - Sticking Buttons

Started by Chud ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon Housing (WPDC 13) - Sticking Buttons

4 posts
  1. Hi Folks

     

    Having procured a 2nd hand Ixus 70 plus housing that I recently used in Jamaica I've noticed that some of the buttons stick on the housing.

     

    I found the Canon care guide and the following online article http://blog.gieselman.com/post/Fixing-stic...a-housings.aspx which seems sensible enough however, I was under the impression that where double o-rings are used the space between them is supposed to be filled with grease (think I read that on an info article on camerasunderwater)?

  2. I have not read the link - but most of the designs are similar and easy enough to strip into bits.

     

    Wouldn't go as far as filling the cavity myself but I would lightly grease up the rings during assembly.

     

    Paul C

  3. Just found the bit on Cameras Underwater:

     

    http://www.camerasunderwater.info/articles/maint.html

     

    "It is also important to distinguish between user seals (like the back door and the battery lid) and control shaft seals. User seals and static seals need only to be greased before assembly, but control shafts need to be packed with lubricant. If you simply grease a control shaft seal, it will soon dry out and fail through abrasion."

  4. Still wouldn't pack the seal too hard myself - when you push the button, depending on the design the spring area will compress and if packed all of that silicone has to find somewhere to go - OK there will be a vent out to the water side (messy) but the last thing you want is to hydraulic and maybe displace the seal.

     

    As so often with greasing of kit more is not always better.

     

    Paul C

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.