Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Strobe effects on fish

Started by ramaroodle ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobe effects on fish

11 posts
  1. I am almost afraid to know the answer to this question but....

     

    Has anyone seen any research on the effect of strobes on fish eyes or fish in general? Does it impact them in any way? Are they temporarily blinded and more open to predation while they recover? Do their pupils contract? Should I feel sympathy/emapthy and more importantly, am I stressing the poor jawfish who's just trying to incubate his eggs while I irradiate him with photons?

     

    Just curious.

     

    Andy

  2. On a similar vein, does anyone know what type of fish the red filters are for on the z240s? Sorry for the slight hijack, but I'm off to manado on the 24th?

  3. ... does anyone know what type of fish the red filters are for on the z240s...

     

    A joke, right?

     

    The filter is reduce the effect of the aiming light when used in manual mode with the aiming light turned on.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  4. Do a search on strobe effects. It's been covered many times before.

  5. A joke, right?

     

    The filter is reduce the effect of the aiming light when used in manual mode with the aiming light turned on.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

    thanks Tim, to be honest I thouht it was something like that but when I was on the visions pool session one of the cameras underwater lads said that it was for certain species, but he wasn't sure which.

     

    eta...Drew, the search facility on here never works correctly, bringing up countless threads that have nothing to do with eg strobe effects

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  6. thanks Tim, to be honest I thouht it was something like that but when I was on the visions pool session one of the cameras underwater lads said that it was for certain species, but he wasn't sure which.

     

    eta...Drew, the search facility on here never works correctly, bringing up countless threads that have nothing to do with eg strobe effects

     

    I found them (red filters for aiming lights) helpful when shooting Mandarin fish in Lembeh.

    They 'seemed' a lot less shy of the red filtered aiming light, than they did by the guides torch.

     

    If I remember correctly, the modelling/aiming light extinguishes when you take a shot. BUT, it's been well over a year since I last used them. Hence the light should have no impact on your final image

     

     

    Found some bumpf from Ocean Optics site - "The modeling light can stay on for 10 seconds per button press or be locked on. It cuts out automatically when you take a picture so as not to influence your shot. A red filter is included to let you work with shyer creatures that dislike white light"

     

    HTH

     

    Sean

    Edited by londonsean69
  7. Do a search on strobe effects. It's been covered many times before.

     

    All I get when I search for strobe effects are the 5 replies to this post. What should I be searching for?

  8. I am almost afraid to know the answer to this question but....

     

    Has anyone seen any research on the effect of strobes on fish eyes or fish in general? Does it impact them in any way? Are they temporarily blinded and more open to predation while they recover? Do their pupils contract? Should I feel sympathy/emapthy and more importantly, am I stressing the poor jawfish who's just trying to incubate his eggs while I irradiate him with photons?

     

    Just curious.

     

    Andy

     

    Strobes do not seem to affect the sex lives of salmonid fishes! :)

  9. Have tried all forms of light on mandarins, from Red filtered to Halogen to now LED. They didn't care. The males ... rise to the occasion no matter the illumination! :)

     

    Stu

     

    I found them (red filters for aiming lights) helpful when shooting Mandarin fish in Lembeh.

    They 'seemed' a lot less shy of the red filtered aiming light, than they did by the guides torch.

  10. Have tried all forms of light on mandarins, from Red filtered to Halogen to now LED. They didn't care. The males ... rise to the occasion no matter the illumination! :)

     

    Stu

     

    I'll remember that next time I am in Lembeh :) Hard work with a compact though. At least next time I will have DSLR :D

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.