I do not have a proper macro lens. So i am planning to buy one. But I do own a Sigma 1.4 teleconverter. This is my question If I buy a 60 mm Nikon macro lens( I know is one the best) I would be able to use it with my teleconverter? So I think that this combination of 60 mm lens teleconverter will give me the best of both worlds. Am I right or wrong? Please let me know what you guys think?
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Nikon 60 mm macro lens and teleconverter
Started by Oceantony ·
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
Nikon 60 mm macro lens and teleconverter
-
-
I do not have a proper macro lens. So i am planning to buy one. But I do own a Sigma 1.4 teleconverter. This is my question If I buy a 60 mm Nikon macro lens( I know is one the best) I would be able to use it with my teleconverter? So I think that this combination of 60 mm lens teleconverter will give me the best of both worlds. Am I right or wrong? Please let me know what you guys think?
Depending on which teleconverter you have, the rear element on the Nikkor 60mm may extend out too far for the converter to mount to the lens. This is the case with my converter which is the 1.4 APO EX DG. I have the old style 60mm, not the very recently upgraded one. The front element of the converter sticks out pretty far forward and the rear element of the 60 sticks out making it impossible to use together. Sigma may have a chart for compatible lenses you could refer to.
-
What camera are you using it with?, DX sensor or FF? I tried 60mm with Kenko 2X teleconverter in the past which worked fairy well, faster AF than Nikon 105VR but picture is not quite as sharp. If I am going to use 60mm macro with teleconverter, I think I would prefer using 105VR without teleconverter instead generally.
-
What camera are you using it with?, DX sensor or FF? I tried 60mm with Kenko 2X teleconverter in the past which worked fairy well, faster AF than Nikon 105VR but picture is not quite as sharp. If I am going to use 60mm macro with teleconverter, I think I would prefer using 105VR without teleconverter instead generally.
Thanks a lot Manta. Camera is DX. From the time I posted this I learned a bit. My 1.4 teleconverter will work with a 60mm Af-D lens. AF-D will work. Your experience is with the 2X.kenko. I see your point about using the 105mm. Point well taken. I will get the 60mm AFD will use with and without the teleconverter. I will get the ikelite flat port for the 105! later if I am nit pleased with the results I will get an used 105 too. Merry Christmas my firend.
-
Depending on which teleconverter you have, the rear element on the Nikkor 60mm may extend out too far for the converter to mount to the lens. This is the case with my converter which is the 1.4 APO EX DG. I have the old style 60mm, not the very recently upgraded one. The front element of the converter sticks out pretty far forward and the rear element of the 60 sticks out making it impossible to use together. Sigma may have a chart for compatible lenses you could refer to.
Thanks a loNt no wonder the 60mm AFD was not listed on the chart! You did answer clear one of my doubts.