Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Nikons and Sunballs to High ISO questions

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

New Nikons and Sunballs to High ISO questions

5 posts
  1. Some what of a spin-off from the Upgrade thread. Are any of the new Nikon's (because personally I will never change teams, lol) going to be able to give "slide quality" Sunballs??? Plus of course would love better low light capabilities. But being a techno idiot is there a digital Nikon on the near horizon that can do both well?

  2. I personally don't know the technicalities about sunballs; but seeing as most of the ridiculously awesome big shots here shoot digital now, I don't think it would be something to obsess over or something to keep you from upgrading. :)

  3. I have found the D90 to be pretty good with them, here are a couple of examples.

     

    One, i have the sun hidden behind the wall and it shows a very nice spread of rays, taken around noonish. f9 1/250. Bunaken

     

    17241_260723610210_690615210_4870902_5210608_n.jpg

     

     

    This is around 3 or 4 in the afternoon as a part of a series of photos i was taking to check the rays. This one is f 11 and 1/250. Bunaken

     

    17241_260747120210_690615210_4870931_7870213_n.jpg

     

    This one is about 5m (15ft) around 10am.. f6.3 1/250 again i kept the sun out of the frame in order to just capture frozen rays. East Lembeh

    17241_260749655210_690615210_4870936_8353673_n.jpg

  4. Thanks and excellent shots. Well at this point I think I will hold out till the D400 comes out. I have been given tacit approval to add a second housing. So thinking D200 will be macro and D400 or whatever, will be WA.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.