My new baby had her maiden voyage a few weeks ago down in PDC Mexico. I learned a lot, that can hopefully translate to my next opportunity. I did have an issue though, and I'm hoping someone might know the answer. While shooting in manual mode, my shutter speed and aperature settings kept changing. I'm assuming this has to do with some kind of other camera setting?? Very frustrating when have your pics come out dark because the shutter speed has auto changed above 200 (Upper limit on flash sync). Thanks!!!
Greg
that sounds plain weird..
are you sure you didn't have a button being pressed down in the housing due to pressure or being stuck or something?
That shouldn't happen
that sounds plain weird..
are you sure you didn't have a button being pressed down in the housing due to pressure or being stuck or something?
That shouldn't happen
I don't THINK anything was pressed down. I'm curious about some of the other menu settings, like active D lighting, Bracketing, exposure compensation. Can any of these maybe be responsible??
i have the same setup as you, can't say i have had the same problem..
however, i have had a few similar problems with a few buttons. What i realized what that i wasn't pushing the camera all the way down and locking it correctly with the latch in the housing, ie the latch wasnt going down as far as it should be.
however, that shouldn't change the manual settings...
are you sure you were on manual and didn't accidently flip the mode dial into one of the other settings?
Like maybe the housing knob says M but the camera is in Av mode?
I don't THINK anything was pressed down. I'm curious about some of the other menu settings, like active D lighting, Bracketing, exposure compensation. Can any of these maybe be responsible??
I don't shoot the D90. Let's assume it is like the D80 that I use underwater. I set the top dial to M for manual. This allows the camera to sync at the selected shutter speed (max. of 1/160 for the D80 unless hooked to a SB 800/900). If you bracket, something must change; typically the shutter speed. 3 shot +/1 1 f-stop with the shutter set at 60 whould be 1/120, 1/60, & 1/30. Likewise with exposure compensation; I am not sure what changes. Nikon supplies an extensive manual for your camera. Understanding the functions of you camera should be your first action. Try a Pinot Noir from the Williamnettte Valley and a good read of the manual.
Bob
I don't shoot the D90. Let's assume it is like the D80 that I use underwater. I set the top dial to M for manual. This allows the camera to sync at the selected shutter speed (max. of 1/160 for the D80 unless hooked to a SB 800/900). If you bracket, something must change; typically the shutter speed. 3 shot +/1 1 f-stop with the shutter set at 60 whould be 1/120, 1/60, & 1/30. Likewise with exposure compensation; I am not sure what changes. Nikon supplies an extensive manual for your camera. Understanding the functions of you camera should be your first action. Try a Pinot Noir from the Williamnettte Valley and a good read of the manual.
Bob
I hear you Bob, I was hoping to find a quick answer thinking it might be a common-ish issue. I'll tackle the manual and see if I can figure it out. As far as being in the correct mode, when I saw it happening underwater I would pull up my settings info on my LCD... always it was showing in "M". I never even touch my "Mode" knob once the cams in the housing. Also, as far as the cam being all the way in, I do make sure the little latch swings down to lock it in. I guess something could be mis aligned .... but again...what would it be?? If I'm staying in "M" what would make the change? I KNOW I'm not changing it with the shutter or Ap knobs. Thanks for the help guys!
Greg
I can only guess you're inadvertently moving the aperture control knob when going for the shutter release. Easily done since the two controls are so close. Obviously reducing aperture size by even a stop or two without matching shutter speed for the available light will leave you with dark pics.
OK... I think the mystery is solved. Was outside taking some shots this morn and noticed, while in "M", that after every shot the shutter speed stepped up x2, 400, then 800, then 1600, then back to 400. I messed with some of the settings and found the "Bracketing/Flash" set to "AE/Flash". I changed it too "Flash" only and things worked properly with regards too shutter speed.
OK... I think the mystery is solved. Was outside taking some shots this morn and noticed, while in "M", that after every shot the shutter speed stepped up x2, 400, then 800, then 1600, then back to 400. I messed with some of the settings and found the "Bracketing/Flash" set to "AE/Flash". I changed it too "Flash" only and things worked properly with regards too shutter speed.
Glad to hope you got it sorted Greg fingers crossed
OK... I think the mystery is solved. Was outside taking some shots this morn and noticed, while in "M", that after every shot the shutter speed stepped up x2, 400, then 800, then 1600, then back to 400. I messed with some of the settings and found the "Bracketing/Flash" set to "AE/Flash". I changed it too "Flash" only and things worked properly with regards too shutter speed.