Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DSLR Grip Straps...Anyone have a favorite

Started by rtrski ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

DSLR Grip Straps...Anyone have a favorite

2 posts
  1. Howdy.

     

    I've upgraded recently from an E-330 to an E-30, and have been looking for a good grip-type strap (the type that just 'wraps' around the back of your hand, mounting to the top right neck-strap anchor point and the tripod attachment at the camera bottom).

     

    The one I've got for my E-330 is similar to THIS ONE which is made by several manufacturers (Opteka, Sunpac, etc) but it has a pretty 'flimsy' screw (not much wall thickness between the threads that fit into the camera and the screw-hole for a tripod mount). Plus from the bottom the plastic tightening ring is sort of hollowed out - for cost and weight, likely - which means if you do mount something else below it and expect a friction-contact to keep the next item screwed in, there's not a lot of surface contact.

     

    I'm also using a Cotton Carrier for trekking around with the camera (no affiliation, but really like the system conceptually...haven't used a lot as just got it for Xmas) so I need to screw it's attachment thingie (the 'camera insert', THIS) into the bottom of the grip strap and want the combination to be sturdy, as I'll be 'hanging' the camera from them.

     

    I'm looking for a similar grip strap, but basically one that's more sturdy than the Amazon item linked above, preferrably with a solid metal ring for the attachment to the tripod thread in the camera bottom and of course it still must have the threaded hole for attaching the Cotton Carrier camera insert. Normally these grip straps run in the US$10-20 range, I'm willing to pay more for one that's solidly made

     

    Anyone know of such a beast and can send me a link, company, or product reference of some kind? I've found some nice grip-straps from OP/Tech USA that have a metal bottom plate, but their knob doesn't have a threaded hole below for attaching something below them.

     

    Thanks in advance for any leads!

  2. Well, after a fair amount of searching, I've not found one myself either, nor gotten a reply yet from the email sent to the info address at Cotton Carrier. I've just bought a wrist-strap that connects only to the top-right shoulder strap mount loop for the time being, and might see if I can get a machine shop to make me a replacement for the aluminum insert disk that adds a side loop as well. Then I don't need another piece between the insert and the camera.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.