Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

My New G11 Rig - But I have a Problem..!

Started by marktol ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

My New G11 Rig - But I have a Problem..!

10 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    Hope everyone had a good xmas? I have just put my new G11 rig together (picture below) but ive got a problem. I used to attach the optical cable for my Z240 to the diffuser for the housing using one of the Inon Cap Set's that just hooked over the top. Now ive got one of the Fantasea BigEye lense's I cant use the supplied housing diffuser. I now need a new way to attach my optical cable in place in front of the flash on the housing. I dont want to attach it to the lense as I will need to remove it for Macro shots.

     

    If anyone has any suggestions this would be great, ive seen that Sea & Sea do a mask set but its £50 which seems excessive to me and from looking at what it comes with is slight over kill. I also think at some point im going to need to get another strobe arm as currently have just 1 8inch.

     

    IMG_0190.JPG

     

    Many thanks,

  2. Hi all, Hope everyone had a good xmas? I have just put my new G11 rig together (picture below) but ive got a problem. I used to attach the optical cable for my Z240 to the diffuser for the housing using one of the Inon Cap Set's that just hooked over the top. Now ive got one of the Fantasea BigEye lense's I cant use the supplied housing diffuser. I now need a new way to attach my optical cable in place in front of the flash on the housing. I dont want to attach it to the lense as I will need to remove it for Macro shots. If anyone has any suggestions this would be great, ive seen that Sea & Sea do a mask set but its £50 which seems excessive to me and from looking at what it comes with is slight over kill. I also think at some point im going to need to get another strobe arm as currently have just 1 8inch. IMG_0190.JPG Many thanks,

    With the new S2000 strobe from Inon, you get an extra bit (I'm sure it has a technical name too), which allows the strobe to fire from the flash without the need for a fibre optic cable. A friend of ours who has the Z240 was convinced that this would work with his strobe as well. It may be worth checking out as it would mean that you would not need to attach anything to your housing. Hopefully someone else can come up with the technical name for the bit. I'm going to call it a sensor for now.

    The one downside we have found with this sensor is that it is too sensitive and keeps firing when other people's flashes go off too, even pointing it at the sun on the surface can set it off, which we are worried will reduce the strobes lifetime through lots of needless flashes. Otherwise it sems to work great though.

    Hope that's helpful.

  3. Thanks guys,

     

    The item from reef photo seems like an option, perhaps I could try and create something simular myself!

     

    The S2000 looks like a nice strobe, from what ive read the wireless option is specific to it as Inon have increased the sensitivtiy of the receiver.

     

    I was also considering trying to make something out of a sheet of alluminium or something that attachest to the tray and comes up in front of the flash on the housing that I could attach my existing cap to although im not sure if this would be overkill..!

  4.  

    Interesting,

     

    I notice they also do an adapter to attach the Sea & Sea optical cables to the Olypmus housing. I could potentially get that if I could another way of mounting that to the housing. Im ideally after something that can easily be removed without leaving a residue.

     

    Thanks,

    Mark

  5. FYI: The industrial Velcro from Home Depot works well underwater and does not leave a permanent residue. A little elbow grease removes the glue.

  6. how about a small piece of acrylic bent into an L shape - strap on side of the L to the 'lens barrel' of the housing with a couple of zip ties so the other arm of the L sits in front of the camera flash?

     

    Acrylic is really easy to work with if you just have a little patience, to bend it just use a small kitchen blow torch run lightly along where you want the bend until you start to see a 'wobble' in the piece to be bent (loads of vids on youtube if you have a look) . To stop the L from sliding wrap the lens barrel in some self amalgamating tape (from Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_searc...A&source=aw ) - the trick with the tape is to really stretch it as you wrap it round.

    Edited by Chud
  7. Thanks Chud,

     

    I like the sounds of that idea I will have to give it a go!! Ive just ordered one of those adapters from reef as I needed a new dual handle tray so for the sake of a few quid extra it made sense.

     

    Could you recommend somewhere to get the acrylic from as well?

     

    Many thanks,

    Mark

  8. I have used the 3M brand Dual Core (all plastic) fasteners available at Radio Shack for years to mount my flashlights to housings. Would suggest trying that out. It comes in black and clear but needs a good flat surface to adhere best.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.