Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Long arm octo

Started by MikeVeitch ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Long arm octo

3 posts
  1. Taken in Lembeh, maybe 10 metres deep. We call it a "long arm octo" :good:

     

    Wondering if anyone knows the latin on it, or at least the .......... sp. :)

     

    Thanks

    17241_262011565210_690615210_4877369_5356733_n.jpg

  2. In Hawaii there's an uncommon and similar looking long armed sand octopus which has yet to be described. I've seen it swimming on the bottom seemingly imitating a flounder, so I wonder if it might be a cousin to the mimic or the wunderpus. Cephalopod expert Crissy Huffard of UC Berkeley has described other octopi and she is aware of the long armed sand octopus in Hawaii. I don't think she has completed the description yet, because of an insufficient number of specimens to work with. You might try to contact Crissy at chuffard@yahoo.com. She is very helpful. She was recently working in Indonesia and may know about your octopus. The long armed sand octopus I've seen in Hawaii looks somewhat like yours, lives in a sand environment, and the one I saw is quite small at only about 8" in length. Can't tell the size of the one in your photo, but it appears larger. I'm attaching a shot of the undescribed Hawaiian guy, and 4 more shots of it can be seen in a gallery at http://sealifeimages.smugmug.com/New

     

    If Chrissy replies to you, I'd appreciate hearing what she has to say about your octopus.

     

     

    post-6480-1262466189.jpg

  3. I don't know if this is an actual name,

    but I've seen that one called the "White V Octopus"

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.