Firstly, my apologies for posting this both here and in the DSLR sub-forum. I thought I might get slightly biased opinions, depending on where this was posted! Here's the link to the identical post there:
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34012
I've been shooting film u/w for a long time (my main rig is a nice old Nikon F3 in an Acquatica, and I've used an S&S MM for light weight work) and only just started to experiment with a basic Ikelite housed Canon p&s digicam over the past 18months. I'm sold so it's time to make a modest move to more upscale digital!
With the budget I have, I can go with either an older, lower res housed DSLR (I have a D50 and a D70 at home) in an Ikelite, or I can afford a newer higher res, high-end point & shoot 'pro-sumer' style camera and housing. (I'm assuming the cost of strobes, etc will be equivalent in each case). I'm thinking of a G9 in an Ikelite.
From my limited experience, it appears the advantages of the older DSLR Nikon D50/70 approach are:
- interchangeable lens (which I already own)
- more in-camera image control
- improved depth of field manipulation
- potential reuse of the Ikelite ports when I move to a newer Nikon DSLR
- easier manual focus?
The advantages of the p&s Canon G9 appear to be:
- higher resolution (12Mp v.s. 6Mp)
- much bigger/brighter viewfinder (high res 3" v.s. lower res 1.8")
- better auto focus?
- video potential (limited interest)
- smaller and lighter
What would you do?
Thanks!
.