Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Zeiss shipping 2 ZE mount makro lenses for Canon in Feb

Started by Drew ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Zeiss shipping 2 ZE mount makro lenses for Canon in Feb

9 posts
  1. Zeiss already expanded the ZE range for Canon with the Distagon and Planar series, now they are about to start shipping the 50mm f2 and 100mm f2 Makro-Planar T*. As usual, there is no AF on these lenses (but there is an AF confirmation if the image is in focus. At f2, the Makro-Planar 50mm is the fastest macro lens available for Canon. Both have 1:2 scaling for macro, which is disappointing for the 100mm. Overall the 100mm doesn't appeal to those with a Canon 100mm L lens, especially for underwater use. However, the 50mm makes for a great topside lens with UW applications also available, especially with an extension tube to get closer to 1:1

     

    The Zeiss ZE range

    Edited by Drew
  2. You are a one man Canon news feed, Drew. Excellent stuff.

     

    Alex

  3. Overall the 100mm doesn't appeal to those with a Canon 100mm L lens, especially for underwater use.

     

     

    Especially the latest Canon 100 which has a fixed barrel length like the Nikkor 105VR. No extra air space between the lens and port glass when the lens is not at 1:1.

  4. Especially the latest Canon 100 which has a fixed barrel length like the Nikkor 105VR. No extra air space between the lens and port glass when the lens is not at 1:1.

    The previous 100 macro (non-IS) was fixed barrel (internal focusing) as well. :D

    Edited by segal3
  5. The previous 100 macro (non-IS) was fixed barrel (internal focusing) as well. :drink:

     

     

    Good point, it was the version before the previous version that extended. The Nikkor 105D also extends. :D

  6. You are a one man Canon news feed, Drew. Excellent stuff.

    I got one (well a gift voucher for one) for x'mas so I'm paying attention to what to get :) And I am fair... I've done Nikon announcements before :drink: Just not so many worth tootin' about :D

     

    Plus the Zeiss ZF lenses are rubbish without exposure or any other kind of electronic interface. Absolutely useless underwater unless the user is an f11 and be there kinda person. ZF.2 has some merits but I'm surprised that Zeiss managed to convince Canon to work with them but not Nikon. I suppose Nikon's market share is shakey so they need the lens sale. Plus their weitwinkel lenses are awesome already. The one weakness are the f1.4 primes, something Canon excels at, which puzzles me even more since but I guess Zeiss doesn't tread on Canon much either.

  7. I got one (well a gift voucher for one) for x'mas so I'm paying attention to what to get :) And I am fair... I've done Nikon announcements before :drink: Just not so many worth tootin' about :D

     

    Plus the Zeiss ZF lenses are rubbish without exposure or any other kind of electronic interface. Absolutely useless underwater unless the user is an f11 and be there kinda person. ZF.2 has some merits but I'm surprised that Zeiss managed to convince Canon to work with them but not Nikon. I suppose Nikon's market share is shakey so they need the lens sale. Plus their weitwinkel lenses are awesome already. The one weakness are the f1.4 primes, something Canon excels at, which puzzles me even more since but I guess Zeiss doesn't tread on Canon much either.

     

     

    People are going gaga over these lenses all over the internet. At least CZ saw the light and came out with the ZF.2 series. I have plenty of MF Nikkors so not much interest from me ROTFL.

  8. I've done Nikon announcements before :drink: Just not so many worth tootin' about :D

     

    You can say that again. Particularly on the camera front.

     

    Alex

  9. Particularly on the camera front.

     

    Alex

     

    Let us hope the D900 corrects this status. Or we may have to wait for the D4 generation.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.