Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Mini DV4.3 to HD 16.9

Started by wagsy ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Mini DV4.3 to HD 16.9

4 posts
  1. Howdy all

     

    Well after looking at all my old Mini DV 4.3 tapes sitting around here, I decided to have a go at upscaling to 16.9 and even HD size.

    I know there are a few commercial products around but this is what I came up with using Virturaldub, an open source free encoder.

    It can do many things apart from just this.

     

    Once you make the clip just import it into your NLE and away you go.

     

    How I did it can be found here

     

    Video clips...

     

     

  2. GREAT !!! ...

     

    I've just spent days sifting through my HDV and EX1 footage now I find out I can dust off the old Mini DV stock and start looking through that as well ...

     

    When will it ever end !!! :D

     

    Cheers Wags ...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. As Wagsy said, there are several softwares that do this, Red Giant's Instant HD Advanced comes to mind(http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/magic_bullets_instant_hd.html

     

    There are others and while some use more advanced algorithms than others, they all work by mulit vector analysis, some of the subject(not so good) some of the fore or background. Scaling is the main issue here as anything scaled above 103% will result in some softening of the image and resolution loss. I stopped Wags clips towards the beginning as the octo was rising and it is plain to see that some of the image is lost and there is a touch of softening. I think the images here are very good but one using this type should use it sparingly, for a clip that was so good, you must use it in the project. You wouldn't want to upscale all your old SD footage and make a program out of it, it would be very noticiable. It is great to have though for those once in a lifetime clips from the old days.

    Steve

    Edited by steve
  4. Hi Steve

    Yes its abit like trying to make a image larger than it really is in Photoshop, never the same as the original quality.

    Its a work around the will allow us to use certain clips for stuff for sure.

    Trouble is we are all use to looking a HD stuff now so can pick it out.

    The way these computer screens are going, maybe we can just shoot the 4.3 clip running on the screen with our 16.9 cameras. :D

     

    Deano, you had better hurry up and do it before you become a daddy......

     

    EDIT

    Just loaded up an upscaled 16.9 version of my old Ningaloo DV4.3 clip.

    Edited by wagsy
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.