Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17 FE zoom specs

Started by frisco ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17 FE zoom specs

11 posts
  1. I am considering buying the Tokina 10-17 FE zoom from my Canon EOS-450D and I have a couple of question for the owners of this lens mounted on a crop-sensor camera and used undewater behind a dome ....

     

    1) the tech specs of the lens say that the coverage ranges from 180° to 100° .... This should be true on a full frame camera .... Which would the coverage be on a 1.6 crop camera as the lens should perform like a 16-27 FE zoom ???

     

    2) the tech specs say that the minimun focus distance is 5.5 in. and the max repro ratio is 1:2.56 .... Again would the lens have a different minimum focus distance on a 1.6 crop camera ??? Behind a dome the camera will focus on a nearer virtual image, so I assume that the minimum focus distance would be lower that 5.5 in. underwater ... Again I assume that the max repro ration on a 1.6 crop camera would be 1:(2.56/1.6) = 1:1.6 .... These numbers are important to me as I intend to use this lens also for CFWA.

     

    3) I have an Hugyfot housing formy Canon EOS-450D and the only available dome is the Hugyfot FE dome which has a diameter of 173mm (almost 7 in.) .... Would this dome suit the Tokina or should I buy a smaller dome (like the ZEN) with a Sea&Sea mount + an adapter ring for my Hugyfot ??? The Hugyfot dome his much cheaper that the ZEN+ adapter ring solution, so there should be really good reason other than the smaller size fro travelling (better costruction quality ?? Less vignetting ??) to go for it.

     

    Thank you very much for your help !!!

     

    Francesco

  2. Hi Francesco,

    You are going to absolutely love the Tokina on your 450D. I use mine with the large Sea & Sea Fisheye dome and it works very well. The lens will focus on the dome so if in AF you need to keep it nice and clean. If you plan to use it for a lot of extreme CFWA the smaller dome will make it easier position the strobes. I'm sure you can get some really nice images with the larger dome though and it makes over unders a bunch easier.

     

    Sorry I'm not familar with the Hugyfot dome so I can't help specifically with the part number. At 7 in. it doesn't sound too big for a nice all purpose setup.

     

    All the wide angle digital images on my Flickr site (Cayman, Bonaire, Bahamas) were taken with the 10-17 on the 1.6 crop sensor if you want to take a look.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Edited for clarity, thanks Dave.

    Edited by Steve Williams
  3. The lens is a DX lens. The specs should be for the coverage on a DX camera, not an FX camera.

     

    The lens will focus on the dome itself.

     

    It's a great lens if you have a big subject or can get close to your subject.

  4. Hi guys,

     

    I was just about to buy a Tokina 10-17mm for my new 7D based on the positive endorsements on this site and others, however when I went to purchase the lense I was told that it was being discontinued and in replacement, Tokina had released an aspherical 12-24mm lense.

     

    Does anyone have view or experience using the 12-24mm lense underwater and which (ie the 10-17mm or the 12-24mm) would be the best to purchase?

     

    Kyle

  5. Hi guys,

     

    I was just about to buy a Tokina 10-17mm for my new 7D based on the positive endorsements on this site and others, however when I went to purchase the lense I was told that it was being discontinued and in replacement, Tokina had released an aspherical 12-24mm lense.

     

    Does anyone have view or experience using the 12-24mm lense underwater and which (ie the 10-17mm or the 12-24mm) would be the best to purchase?

     

    Kyle

     

    Kyle, I was about to buy one also, what do you know about the 12x24 timeframe? I'm ready now if it will fit my camera and housing. Where did you get this info as I believe Tokina has a 12X24 now? I heard yesterday that the 12x24 is a great lens. Marilyn

    Edited by wackydiver
  6. The 12-24 is a rectilinear zoom and the 10-17 a fisheye zoom; they are very different lenses. They are complementary but do not really overlap. Alex Mustard's article that Steve refers to is very good, and there are tons of threads on Wetpixel regarding these lenses. I can still find the 10-17 available through various online sellers, though B&H are out of stock for the Canon mount. If there is any question that Tokina are discontinuing this lens, I would snap one up wherever you can find it. The lens does not have that much topside utility so I guess it's possible they will discontinue it.

  7. If they are discontinuing the lens I would be tempted to buy a second one.

     

    Even though I use the 12-24 more often.

  8. I was just about to buy a Tokina 10-17mm for my new 7D based on the positive endorsements on this site and others, however when I went to purchase the lense I was told that it was being discontinued and in replacement.

     

    Maybe by a full frame version... ^_^

  9. Hi Francesco!

     

    I have a Canon 400D + Tokina 10-17 in Hugyfot housing with Hugyfot FE dome (no extension ring).

    Tokina works just fine and I have been very pleased.

     

    Jukka

  10. Awesome!

     

    Thankyou everyone for your input and feedback. I've decided to go the 10-17 to start with as I'm quite keen to try my hand at some underwater fisheye photography.

     

    BTW the feedback I received on the discontinuation of the 10-17 could be a little dubious as it was sprouted by a salesman at Sim Lim Square in Singapore who are notorious for 'stretching the truth'

     

    Thanks again,

    Kyle

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.