Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How do you keep your housing (w/o strobes) neutrally buoyant underwater?

Started by pool_dude ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

How do you keep your housing (w/o strobes) neutrally buoyant underwater?

6 posts
  1. I was trying to figure out how I can keep the camera down in instances where I would scuba dive or apnea dive with the housing with 8" acrylic dome port and camera. I was thinking since my housing has a screw thread in the bottom, that I should purchase a 4lb weight with a rubber exterior, drill a hole in the center, and then screw in the weight via the thread that is located in the bottom of the housing. Is this a good idea? If you guys have better ideas, please let me know. Also, if it helps, I have a Nauticam NA-D90. Thanks in advance to those that respond!

  2. You're 90% there.

    Drill a clearance hole in the weight. Determine the length of screw you need to hold it on. Buy a stainless steel screw about 1/2 ' longer and a knob from an electronics store that fits on the screw. Cut the head off the screw, mount the knob on it and adjust the screw length so it does not bottom out in the housing hole.

  3. I was trying to figure out how I can keep the camera down in instances where I would scuba dive or apnea dive with the housing with 8" acrylic dome port and camera. I was thinking since my housing has a screw thread in the bottom, that I should purchase a 4lb weight with a rubber exterior, drill a hole in the center, and then screw in the weight via the thread that is located in the bottom of the housing. Is this a good idea? If you guys have better ideas, please let me know. Also, if it helps, I have a Nauticam NA-D90. Thanks in advance to those that respond!

     

    There is this product called "the POD" which is to steady a camera on odd surfaces. It screws into the bottom of a camera (in your case a housing) with an build in 1/4 20. The unit is sold with small plastic beats/shot, which can easily be removed from the bottom by opening the velcro opening (see pics). It should easily be re-filled with lead shot weight pouch of your choice, probably up to 5#.

     

    This way you can adjust the right weight to gain neutral bouyancy, change it if your set up changes. And also in emergency flooding, release the weight and have your rig float too the surface...LOL (just kidding)

     

    Just another idea.

     

    Bo

     

    post-16329-1263201109.jpg

    post-16329-1263201121.jpg

  4. Thanks for your replies okuma and fotoscubo714! While the pod is certainly a good and easier idea, its also the more costly one, and id have to think of other uses to justify the purchase.

     

    Btw, fotoscubo714, you sure those are lead weight pellets? Looks more like youre going to a rave! hehe

  5. Thanks for your replies okuma and fotoscubo714! While the pod is certainly a good and easier idea, its also the more costly one, and id have to think of other uses to justify the purchase.

     

    Btw, fotoscubo714, you sure those are lead weight pellets? Looks more like youre going to a rave! hehe

     

    That's why you pay more for the POD, manufacturer raves about the bright blue plastic beads inside. I have not replaced mine with lead, since I like to travel light topside. ^_^

  6. why not make your own mesh bag with lead shot in it and zip tie it onto the housing .. will be way more ergonomic and cheap and distribute the weight better.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.