When the built-in flash in the Nikon D90 is deployed, the fastest shutter speed you can choose is 1/200. Is there a way I can turn off the flash and go back to the no-flash settings where I can get shutters speeds faster than 1/200 while the camera is in the housing? I've checked the manual and I can't find it. All it says is to push the flash back down, which is obviously impossible when you're underwater. Thanks in advance to those that respond!
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
going from flash to non-flash setting on nikon d90
Started by pool_dude ·
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
going from flash to non-flash setting on nikon d90
-
-
I think that you are stuck, unless there's a menu option. I haven't solved this with my D200.
Luckily, except for sunbursts, it's not a huge problem unless you have under-powered strobes that won't balance against the appropriate f-stop.
I you have a specific requirement, then you have to go back to electronic strobe leads and a hot-shoe adaptor.
Tim

-
All it says is to push the flash back down, which is obviously impossible when you're underwater.
Depends on your housing. With the Nexus D90 housing, there is an option to be able to pop up the flash and press down the flash while underwater. I paid the extra for those options on mine and it works fine. If you have a Nexus housing, it can be added.
-
Is there a reason why push down flaps or buttons are not standard on housings that have fiber optic connections?
-
When the built-in flash in the Nikon D90 is deployed, the fastest shutter speed you can choose is 1/200. Is there a way I can turn off the flash and go back to the no-flash settings where I can get shutters speeds faster than 1/200 while the camera is in the housing? I've checked the manual and I can't find it. All it says is to push the flash back down, which is obviously impossible when you're underwater. Thanks in advance to those that respond!
Isn't there a vari-program setting that lets you turn the flash off? I don't have a d90 but I thought that was a feature that would let you turn off the flash if you were in a theater for example.
Bill
-
Is there a reason why push down flaps or buttons are not standard on housings that have fiber optic connections?
Yes, there probably is...and its probably related to price advertising.
I was just lucky someone pointed out the 'option' for flash up/down on my housing before I bought it. I thought it was standard and would have never thought to ask about it, then would have been quite frustrated by it being missing.
Turning off the flash in the theater is easy, click the dial away from P to any other setting and press down the flash (if its popped up). Its that pressing down the flash that has pool dude concerned.
Pool Dude, what housing do you have?
-
The "pop-up" and "push-down" option wasn't available when I bought my housing, so It's good to hear that it's been addressed. The Nikon cameras that I have used do not have a menu-driven "flash - off" function, because it is controlled by popping up the unit, or closing it. For a consumer camera there might be a simpler solution, as they often have a pre-programmed flash-inhibited setting.
Tim

-
You have two options. Probably the easiest is to turn on Auto FP. Basically its a setting that lets you sync nikon speedlights at speeds greater than the flash sync speed (in ur case 1/200th), obviously at a severely reduced power. This will simply allow you to turn off your UW strobes, set a higher shutter speed, and just accept the on camera flash going off with it.
Here's how to do it on a D700 and D300, i assume its the same on the D90:
Custom Setting Menu --> (e) Bracketing/flash --> (*e1) Flash Sync Speed --> 1/250s (Auto FP)
On a D700 & D300 you can also program the AE-L/AF-L button to turn flash off, if you have access to the button on your housing. But you have to hold it down to do so, once you let go it reverts.
Custom Setting Menu --> (f) Controls --> (f6) Assign AE-L/AF-L button --> Flash Off
This is of course assuming the D90 has these functions, I really don't know. You can also program Flash Off to the Fn button on the front of the camera, below the DOF Preview button, but i doubt any housings give access to it. Hope that helps. Cheers,
Chris
-
You have two options. Probably the easiest is to turn on Auto FP.
Chris
hey Chris - FYI, I tested this and it seems like the camera is still limited to 1/200th when the internal flash is popped up.
Scott
-
hey Chris - FYI, I tested this and it seems like the camera is still limited to 1/200th when the internal flash is popped up.
Scott
with a D90? ur tag says you have a D300 - i tested it on both D300 & D700 as i wrote it, just tested again and it does work, set any shutter speed you like. Maybe not on a D90 though???
Chris